Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
Grub

Default Special visit this morning

I've heard the stories, and believed them, but now I can say I've seen it with my own eyes... I had warblers in my yard and using my pond this morning!!!

While letting my dog out I heard an unknown warbler singing, so I got my iphone app ready and tried to figure it out. I was unsuccessfully picking species I thought it might be and listening to their songs, when I heard a song I knew by heart - black-throated green warbler! I saw my first male in breeding plumage ever IN MY YARD after trying for 20+ minutes to track him down. While doing that, I saw some yellow-rumped warblers, and realized they were the source of the original warbler song I heard. I also thought I heard a vireo but couldn't confirm it.

At this point I realized I better get my dog some food since he's been patiently waiting.... and myself too since I need to leave for work shortly. Well, I'm sitting in my office eating my oatmeal, and WOAH! Yellow-rumped at the pond!!! Forget the oatmeal, my eyes are glued to the window. Three birds came and went, and then a robin hopped over to gather some mud from my pickerelweed pot for her nest. The warblers weren't really doing anything exciting, just hopping in and out of view, so I finished my oatmeal, got up to go to work with one last glance, and BAM! PALM WARBLER! A New York first for me AT MY POND (5 feet away!!!) And then the yellow-rumpeds came back - one waded in for a bath (brought tears to my eyes - I know I'm nuts) and another was perched on the waterfall drinking the running water.

After that brief show, I HAD to leave for work, but I was overjoyed. These birds, after having migrated who-knows-how-far, were helped by my decision to build a small pond, in a densely populated area, where I wasn't getting my hopes up that it would actually do any good.

I've been a believer that gardening for wildlife (even in small ways) makes a tremendous difference, but seeing it with my own eyes, so quickly after beginning my projects... it's breathtaking.

Once again, I'm grateful for all that I've learned here, and what you've all contributed to my projects and how we all help wildlife in our own diverse ways.
disuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

Happy dance for dishuan!!! Bet you're jumping for joy you sited that pond where you did right about now!!!
Old 04-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #3
Fox

Great story, and wonderful to read another affirmation that what we do in our own yards does make a difference!
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:13 AM   #4
Offical Silphium Abuser

Congratulations, disuhan!

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Woohoo! What a wonderful day for you!

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
Heron

That's fabulous! I can imagine your excitement!
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
Fox

This is what it's all about. Congratulations.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #8
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Thank you for sharing. Your excitement shines through your post.

I envy you your ability to recognize birds by there songs...there are only a couple I feel confident about. Now I have to look up the species of warblers you mentioned.

Congratulations!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morning, special, visit