Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
WG Staff

Default Trap, Neuter, and Release: Bad for Cats, Disaster for Birds

Trap, Neuter, and Release: Bad for Cats, Disaster for Birds
Old 05-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
Salamander

Put a $50.00 bounty on them. Problem solved. Nobody would let their precious out and our unemployed would be able to make a decent income. Bonus!
Old 05-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Ohhhh.... that makes too much sense. We'll never do it.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
Salamander

Yep it'll never happen.

I think the real solution is to make it illegal to have cats that are not fixed. Why would anyone want to have a tom or queen as a pet. The behaviors alone are enough to drive you nuts.

THAT would help the cats and the people. You cant just have people shoot cats, in city limits this is illegal and could make/turn people into satists
GonativeAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonativeAlex View Post
Yep it'll never happen.

I think the real solution is to make it illegal to have cats that are not fixed. Why would anyone want to have a tom or queen as a pet. The behaviors alone are enough to drive you nuts.

THAT would help the cats and the people. You cant just have people shoot cats, in city limits this is illegal and could make/turn people into satists
No, it won't happen. But, it won't happen for the same reason that a LOT of things don't happen. PEOPLE DON'T CARE!!! A few do, but not nearly enough to make anything change. Try to admit it. When you accept that fact, a lot of things make sense. The world may not seem as pleasant as it was when you were in denial, but it answers most questions.

We care enough to save texting drivers from hurting themselves and others. We make laws against drunk drivers for the same reason. If people wanted laws that placed a bounty on cats, we would make the laws. I can legally take raccoon and a few other overpopulated and destructive species 365 days a year. We could easily add cats. The fact that we made some of them pets is why we could never get laws passed. Emotions would drive the debate, instead of science and facts. As with texting/drunk driving (texting and driving may not be illegal in your state yet) laws, some folks would ignore a law to only keep sterile cats and would allow them to roam. Barn cats and feral colonies would not be addressed. We would still have a problem. We have a lot of laws that are not followed by a large number of people.

While you may not be allowed to discharge a firearm in city limits, you could trap. Making an act legal does not change an individual. You would not create a state, or country, full of sadists because you pass laws to allow for the taking of cats. You would create an environment where people who cared about nature would attempt to remove problem cats. If you wanted the law to only allow animal control agencies to put down cats, that could be written into the law. That is the law where I live, but it isn't promoted. I have been trapping cats and sending them to animal control for years. I have removed more than 50 cats, easily. If an owner bails out the cat, it lives. If not, it doesn't.

I belong to my state chapter and the national Audubon Society, Cornell, The Nature Conservancy . . . Even if I joined Greenpeace, The Sierra Club, Defenders of Wildlife . . . they have better things to do than to try to remove the #2 reason for the extinction of bird species on this Earth. Organizations do not take up the cause because they would not get the support of emotion driven humans. The majority of people in the United States believes that it is better to protect roaming cats than to remove them. Our lives are dictated by greed and emotion instead of reason and logic. We do what we want to do at the expense of nature because we want to. If we cared more about native wildlife than we do about cats, emotions and greed would dictate that we remove all cats from nature. Reason and logic dictates that we do. But, you are right, we won't.

Tags
bad, birds, cats, disaster, neuter, release, trap