Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
Sorry, I mean the comment at pollinators-welcome.
Oh, I see. Thanks.

Yup, that was me.

Quote:
Your garden sounds wonderful and I'm sure you are right that some may prefer natives to grow within their expections of a garden. But maybe gardens like ours will help expose more people to a different perspective and asthetic. It does grow on you, especially after a few seasons of growth and many exciting wildlife encounters.
Thank you...too bad so much of it is still in my head--in the planning stages. As things grow in, I spread what I have, and buy more varieties, it will become more and more like what is in my head. ...but I'm sure it will take on a life of its own.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #12
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
...maybe gardens like ours will help expose more people to a different perspective and asthetic. It does grow on you, especially after a few seasons of growth and many exciting wildlife encounters.
I hope it grows on others who see it!

The nicest comment I received so far was a neighbor (I have only a few), who called my paths "meditation trails".

The only other comments I've heard were "What are you doing/why are you mowing paths like that?" not sure exactly how it was phrased...it was the first year of my project and I didn't really sense any negativity. I wish I went into more detail when I responded. More recently, this summer, one of the tree guys who came to give me an estimate for tree removal, told me that the woman who used to live here kept everything immaculate...and that it must've got to be too much for her. I let him know it was my doing and why. Later, he said he could see the structure--plan--that I've started...and he seemed to understand that I had a goal to put back and attract wildlife. I'm not sure if I fully swayed him or if he was just trying to be nice or take his foot out of his mouth.

Well, now I realize that I did have another comment...this one too close to home--literally: Jeff, my partner, told me that it was looking messy. That was a year or two ago...and I know he supports what I do on some level...and *definitely* enjoys the wildlife that I attract. My theory is that most of what is growing now is still European (and other) weeds and grasses, so, once I replace them with natives and provide thickets of shrubs and trees aesthetically added with the meadow and woodland, things will look better to him and others as well...and it will grow on everyone.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
christina, koblandyoure