Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucetree View Post
Yeah Dap just remember the "Bluebirds of Success" and that you put the Success in Succession and failures will happen and things go alot better.
sprucetree, I appreciate the encouragement...because this past year I feel I've hit some, shall we say, "roadblocks" instead of failures. I know that the successes will outweigh the failures, and hope to make better progress this year.

Last year, I guess I expected more things to take off that didn't--however, the things I planted the first year did seem to, so I'm guessing this year will be the year for those I planted our second year here, and next year will be the year for those I planted last year (and so on). Some invasives seem to be getting the better of me, but I've got plans on how to keep them at bay with less effort from me which should give the natives more chance to outcompete them.

There were other factors which kept me from doing all I'd have liked. We had to have a new roof put on and an enormous tree removed that was interfering with the roof. At least the downed tree has provided me with a lot of chipped wood mulch which will help me supress weeds and enrich the soil for future native plantings...and provide a snag for wildlife as well as a huge brush pile. So, in the end it might bring me more success than I realized.

As for succession, I'm going to do my best to create a healthier woodland in what is now a mid-succession area that has some fairly mature wild cherry and a few other young trees...after removing the multiflora rose bushes and (most of) the Japanese honeysuckle (I've got more to do!) and planting some understory trees and shrubs, that area will take off and (eventually) need little attention. The field will (eventually) become a meadow with areas of early succession trees such as quaking aspen. Just talking about it here will motivate me to do more in the very near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucetree View Post
There are quite a few Martha Stewart shows that deal with bat and owl houses and attracting bees, They shouldn't be hard to find.
I see. The only thing I remember seeing was a clip of an episode about using moss in the garden. Large expanses of moss can look great, and I'd like to incorporate them in my landscaping in some fashion.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Maybe they ran into conflicts of interest with existing advertisers? Martha Stewart isn’t a media company anymore….it’s a merchandising company. The way I understand it is they make their money these days by creating shows around products they’re paid to demo to potential consumers then they’re paid to support those products with articles that offer convenient supply lists that just happen to include those companies “paying to play”...
Another great reason why Wildlife Gardeners doesn't have ads.

The internet is a powerful tool...Getting the word out here without the influence of companies who are against the idea is a great start.

Quote:
...natives could really use a helping hand from someone like her or Oprah.
Having Oprah's support sure wouldn't hurt!

Anyone know someone who knows someone? How do we add the concern of preserving native biodeverstity for every ecoregion on the planet to her other goals?

Quote:
dappy> This is a really good resource for info on bats, What We Do | Bat Conservation.
Thank you, Libby. I'll look into it. I'm all for sustaining a bat population here.

One goal I have is to try to create roosting places cut into the large standing snag I now have. This was an idea I got from this snag thread: Snags & how to create them

Fromhttp://wdfw.wa.gov/living/snags/
Quote:
Roosting slits for bats and some songbirds, including brown creepers, may be added to created snags that are tall enough and wide enough in diameter to accommodate the cuts. The slits should be at least eight inches deep, one or more inches wide, and angled sharply upward. Bats need to fly up into the slits so the slits should be located in an area free of branches. The higher up the snag they are, the more likely these roosting slits will be used. Some sun exposure warms these roosts and makes them more attractive in winter.
I'll be sure to check out your link as well.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 01-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #13

bat2

Quote:
This is a really good resource for info on bats, What We Do | Bat Conservation.
From your link:
Quote:
Attaching a bat house to a tall tree is another option, however studies have shown that bat houses placed on trees are less likely to be occupied than those on a building or pole.
My idea to use the tree itself as a roosting spot might still work...it is not a bat house attached to the tree...but I wonder if the tree itself would be a deterrent. I'm guessing that being a snag and not a living tree could make a big difference.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #14
Official Plant Nerd

If the snag you want to attach your bathouse to has lots of limbs… it’s unlikely it’d be used, Bat Basics. Unlikely doesn't mean they won't though. I've seen them take to "unlikely" sites before. You’ve got a 2-story house. Would you consider attaching it under the eaves?
Old 01-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #15

Quote:
If the snag you want to attach your bathouse to has lots of limbs… it’s unlikely it’d be used, Bat Basics. Unlikely doesn't mean they won't though. I've seen them take to "unlikely" sites before. You’ve got a 2-story house. Would you consider attaching it under the eaves?
My idea with the snag--a huge, thick trunk that with few short limbs--was to cut openings up into it at about 15 ft or so...and let them use the natural tree as a roosting spot (as described in the link). I didn't plan to attach the house to the tree (ug-ly! ). If my idea fails, I'd probably consider attaching it to the house under the eaves--but we have some work that needs to be done first. I'd love to see them use the snag--I could take pictures of them from out the 2nd story windows.

Tags
biodiversity, habitat, migration