Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
A Bee's Best Friend

Default Doug Tallamy reconnecting viable habitat.

Watch video about isolation and extinction debt. How long until creatures that can not move between necessary life cycle habitats sustain populations?

Quote:
Reconnect the remaining viable habitats by changing the landscaping paradigm that dominates our residential and municipal landscapes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=soOBCVD6ZWI

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
A Bee's Best Friend

Has anyone watched the entire 1 hour and 6 minutes? I have watched most of it in about 15 to 20 minute sessions.
I have never been to hear him speak so I do not know if this was similar to previous talks but it certainly included more about corridors and connectivity than the book. Tallamy is a persuasive speaker that knows how to capture an audience. The video is well worth watching.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

I watched all of it the first time I clicked this thread. Tallamy is a master at spelling the issue out.

I've seen him speak in person. His lecture then was pretty much the same but the example of the oak tree and the girl wasn't as fleshed out. That oak tree is huge since the last I saw it in his talk. He brought up the need to create corridors but it wasn't as fleshed out as the talk above. There was also a narrative of being a migratory bird that doesn't really go anywhere after the first third of his lecture, so I'm glad he dropped it. At the end I kept waiting how he was going to spin this back around to the bird story but it never happened.

I wish there were more videos of authors like him online but all I could stir up were these below. Actually I think there's a third one I'm missing where he ends by naming caterpillars as he does above. But in that one he's more on his taxonomic game, just shoots the names out one after the other.

Doug Tallamy on planting Meadows.

Doug Tallamy more casually in conversation.
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:28 PM   #4
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

Found it! This is a clip of the same talk he gave in the main video above but the last 30 seconds he just names caterpillars more efficiently. Though it may have been edited.
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
A Bee's Best Friend

Thanks for the information and the additional videos. I agree that it would be nice to find more of these type of video from authors. The many podcast are mostly interviews that while interesting are not as informative.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
Heron

I just watched the whole thing after finding this post. WOW it was alot of concepts I learned in my college wildlife management and wildlife ecology classes all nicely package. I don't know if I would have taken as much away from his lecture if I hadn't taken those classes but my mind is spinning with ideas for my yard now. Thanks for the post
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #7
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
Has anyone watched the entire 1 hour and 6 minutes? I have watched most of it in about 15 to 20 minute sessions.
I have never been to hear him speak so I do not know if this was similar to previous talks but it certainly included more about corridors and connectivity than the book. Tallamy is a persuasive speaker that knows how to capture an audience. The video is well worth watching.
I got through it in two sessions, and actually the second half, creating suburban and urban corridor funtionality, is much more relevant. We need to incent housing developers to establish corridor vegetation instead of just lawns. I was disappointed to see the low number of views two weeks after it was posted.
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doug, habitat, reconnecting, tallamay, viable