Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
Great Horned Owl

Default Biodiversity benefit

I have a heirloom rose shrub that originated from a cutting at a historic home in Ipswich, Ma that is reputed to be from the 17th century. It is extremely fragrant and beautiful and doesn't take up too much room. For years, however, it would get attacked and decimated by Japanese Beetles, and, not being one to use pesticides at any time in my life, the rose's appearance suffered badly each year with those beetles copulating in the flower heads by the thousands.

After planting natives for the past couple of years intensively, I realized today that I have not seen one Japanese Beetle this year, though the rose is in full bloom. There isn't one to be found anywhere.

Tallamy stated in his BRINGING NATURE HOME that there were predators of the beetle but that without habitat for that predator to develop, a homeowner would never benefit from its services.

He proved to be correct, as something seems to be attacking the beetle, perhaps in its larvae stage of development.

At any rate, good things are happening here with the exclusive planting of the natives and elimination of most all of the aliens (except the rose).

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Great news, jack!

Good to hear. I'm hoping to see more and more positive changes each year as I add more natives and spread those I already have. Glad to know you've noticed such an obvious benefit already.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:15 AM   #3
Fox

The season is yet young. My notes indicate that the beetles do not appear here until late June/early July. My first fireflies appeared a few days ago, about their usual time. Still, I hope you continue to enjoy beetle-deprivation.
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:03 PM   #4
A Bee's Best Friend

Good job Jack. We have not had a problem with J beetles in this area but I have seen results that are similar to yours when native diversity is given a chance to work.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
...I have seen results that are similar to yours when native diversity is given a chance to work.
That is so encouraging. I'm hoping it becomes more mainstream knowledge and that it is adopted more by the general public.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
benefit, biodiversity