Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
A Bee's Best Friend
 
Gloria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Default Urban concerns

Just finished reading this really good article about urban biodiversity loss.
While the fact of urbanization meaning a loss of plant and animal species is not surprising to anyone and therefore you might think a waste of time and funding, this information could help change that view.

By understanding exactly what the reasons for diversity loss are and the actual process by which change and disturbance occur we learn ways to make a difference and thereby increase the retention of and/or return of species diversity. By understanding the disturbance and succesion of urban ecology we acquire tools to use in restoring species richness.

Subsequent studies have found even more reason to be somewhat optimistic about what can be done for conservation within the urban matrix.

Read here...
Urbanization, Biodiversity, and Conservation
MICHAEL L. McKINNEY
http://www.esf.edu/cue/documents/McK...nserv_2002.pdf
__________________
"Half Earth Quest" Edward O. Wilson

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
Great Horned Owl
 
jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northeastern MA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
Just finished reading this really good article about urban biodiversity loss.
While the fact of urbanization meaning a loss of plant and animal species is not surprising to anyone and therefore you might think a waste of time and funding, this information could help change that view.

By understanding exactly what the reasons for diversity loss are and the actual process by which change and disturbance occur we learn ways to make a difference and thereby increase the retention of and/or return of species diversity. By understanding the disturbance and succesion of urban ecology we acquire tools to use in restoring species richness.

Subsequent studies have found even more reason to be somewhat optimistic about what can be done for conservation within the urban matrix.

Read here...
Urbanization, Biodiversity, and Conservation
MICHAEL L. McKINNEY
http://www.esf.edu/cue/documents/McK...nserv_2002.pdf

You were correct in saying much of what is said is to be expected. The essay, it seems, was primarily advocating a change in policies, including how builders handle land they are about to develop. My experience with that, one the article fails to mention, is that it is cheaper for builders to simply eliminate the existing vegetation and to sell the top soil. Leaving shrubs and trees would require care that heavy equipment operators aren't interested in bothering with, and if they do, it slows them down and, to the contractor, time is money.

The only place I see care taken on building lots is in highly affluent towns where town bylaws or customer request mandates care of existing vegetation.

Good essay, Gloria, thanks.
__________________
"Know thyself."

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
A Bee's Best Friend
 
Gloria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Default

Did you notice where it talks about plant succession beginning to show in older urban centers and how although suburbs are usually more diverse than urban areas they are maintained to such a degree as to become sinks? These are some of the clues.

Most of the information reiterates what should be well known by now. Save as much of the native vegetation as possible or if badly degraded , restore native vegetation.
But what is just as important is managing with plant and animal life cycles in mind.

Parks and urban nature centers that are managed well along with programs to include human participation in securing a place for plants and animals, roadways,utility right of ways, and the areas around our homes make for enough space to increase urban biodiversity. We can not go back but there could be a way forward. Maybe?
__________________
"Half Earth Quest" Edward O. Wilson

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
Great Horned Owl
 
jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northeastern MA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
.

Parks and urban nature centers that are managed well along with programs to include human participation in securing a place for plants and animals, roadways,utility right of ways, and the areas around our homes make for enough space to increase urban biodiversity. We can not go back but there could be a way forward. Maybe?
Yes, it could be- I'm all for thinking positive. My own experience, however, has not been encouraging on that front. Starting with my own neighbors who mow their entire property sometimes twice a week, it's discouraging. Now, if a program like 60 minutes or some other popular venue were to push the principles, perhaps there would be a better response.
__________________
"Know thyself."

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient
 
dapjwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Now, if a program like 60 minutes or some other popular venue were to push the principles, perhaps there would be a better response.
Hmm...Good idea. How do we make it happen?
__________________
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
concerns, urban

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2