Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
A Bee's Best Friend

Default Happy earth day !!!

Celebrate the biological diversity of the earth today. Even in the rain it is glorious.

Avatar Home Tree Initiative Plants Over 1 Million! | Earth Day Network

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Right back at ya Gloria! Even though I didn't plant a tree today, I have several in pots waiting for planting and we are clearing out areas around seedling white oaks so they have a chance of survival. Every little bit helps!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
Heron

I planted my 10 spruce trees last week from Arbor day and if they don't grow it's because they drowned, Hopefully next month will be a little drier. I was at Wikipedia last night and Earth day was started on the college campuses as a teach-in in response to the polluted air and water in the 70's. I do think the Avatar movie will help people understand how everything is intertwined and needs everything else.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:37 AM   #4
The Bug Whisperer

I hope to get a few fruit trees and other shrubbery in the ground today...

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Right back at ya Gloria! Even though I didn't plant a tree today, I have several in pots waiting for planting and we are clearing out areas around seedling white oaks so they have a chance of survival. Every little bit helps!

I didn't plant anything on that day either...but by planting natives and removing invasives throughout the year, I don't feel badly missing the specific day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucetree View Post
I was at Wikipedia last night and Earth day was started on the college campuses as a teach-in in response to the polluted air and water in the 70's.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I guess I have to vent. While driving out to visit family, I was scanning the radio stations and stopped on a talk radio program that I would normally never listen to. While interviewing an author about her latest book (I'm not gonna mention her name), she was making friendly banter with the host, and (in my opinion) just shooting off her mouth trying to please him and his audience. Some how she stated that atheists have their own holiday, Earth Day! I hate when people spread false information and I just kept thinking that Earth Day is for everyone, and now, people who have a negative association with atheists will now have a negative association with Earth Day.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:41 PM   #6
Heron

Of course she was trying to pump up sales of her book,, I always figure in the facts before I believe anything. The EPA was started by Richard Nixon and there was so much flammable material in some rivers around Ohio, New York, Pennsylvania, and Michigan that fires started. It seems like Jack is always posting a link about a species in peril and while the bible says Man was/is given dominion over the earth and the animals It's not wise to thumb your nose at Mother Nature..Rant Over.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucetree View Post
Of course she was trying to pump up sales of her book,, I always figure in the facts before I believe anything.
Yeah, but I'm concerned more about the people who don't figure in facts!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 04-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
Heron

What I should have said is closed minded people. Maybe she has an affinity for getting dirt under her manicured nails or went to a Earth Day Outing and had a bad experience. It would be nice if we could reach the closed minded people but it's very difficult, It's always good to remember the Commandment "Love thy Neighbor" and that Jesus associated with everyone...On a Brighter note the County Commission has announced that it's converting some beach/marina front property to Wetlands. As a kid we would swim there and I recall it's about a half mile of beach which would make the wetland about 18 acres.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:39 PM   #9

Great to hear about reclaiming the beach and converting it to wetlands.

I don't get to beaches too often, but I'm always looking for an untouched one...or at least on that is not just boardwalks and swimming.

Tags
day, earth, happy