Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
A Bee's Best Friend

Default Native plant diversity,do the growers hinder?

With over 200 pages this is a lot to read. The last 50 pages or so are of particular interest.
Some interesting questions addressed that I think may apply where ever restoration or native plant growing occurs, not just within the specific area covered herein.

The Role of Native Plant and Seed Collectors
and Growers in Protecting Floral Diversity
by
David N. Morris

http://uwspace.uwaterloo.ca/bitstream/10012/5425/1/Morris_David.pdf

Quote:
The principle goal of this study was to better understand the activities of plant and seed
collectors and growers and how these activities might impact efforts to conserve rare floral species. To
achieve the goal of this study, a four primary research questions were formulated.
1. What are the provenances of planted examples of rare Carolinian floral species?
2. What is the relationship of these planted examples to the remnant populations of the
species?
3. How do seed and plant collectors and growers find, gain access to, and collect rare plants
or their seeds (or other types of propagules)?
4. What are the relationships between those who collect, grow, and/or plant these species,
and how do these relationships influence the character of the planted populations of rare species?

Quote:
This study has implications for species at risk legislation. For example, Ontario’s Endangered Species Act (2007) prohibits the collecting of propagules from “wild” specimens yet permits the propagation of specimens that are not in the “wild” as long as they are planted in locations where they will not “compromise the genetic integrity of wild populations”
(Endangered Species Act – Ontario Regulation 242/08, 2007). This is problematic because it encourages greater representation of a few easily accessible or horticultural provenances within the planted populations.
Quote:
This study may also allow conservation managers to better understand the potential value of planted occurrences of rare species, including those in gardens. As suggested in this study, such occurrences may contain the living legacies of extinct populations, even those populations whose existence had not previously been recognized. Because of the active management of the hobbyists/gardener, such populations are able to persist in remarkable low numbers, even in the face of genetic bottlenecks which might imperil “wild” populations
(Thompson et al., 2003).

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:33 AM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Gloria, you always impress me with the quality of your finds. Thank you for sharing.

Last week, I talked briefly with a native plant nursery owner. I've often wondered which was more important preserving the local provenance population's DNA or increasing the over all genetic diversity of a species. I tried to discuss this on a thread here last year, but got very few responses. From what the nurseryman said, the first generation after increased genetic diversity was more vigorous--but subsequent generations were weakened.

I've always wanted to find a source for plants as local as I can get...unfortunately, most of the nurseries are 2 hours or more south of me and out of my ecoregion. More and more, I'm thinking that I'd be willing to wait for things to grow from seed, if I could know that they are from local populations.

How does one go about getting a permit to (ethically) collect plants, cuttings, or divisions? What about seeds?

Hopefully, I'll find time to read at least the last 50 pages...we'll see.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diversity, growers, hinder, native, plant