Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 07:17 PM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip View Post
Yup. Native all the way. That would be the philosophy behind the whole thing.

Basically the idea would be I would take on a project that I could do probably completely alone. Then, if others decided to join I would welcome them...
Sounds GREAT!

You sound like me: do something I could manage on my own, but welcoming help from other like-minded people. Sounds like a plan!

Quote:
I'll have to work out this idea of getting donations. I was hoping for some sort of money to buy up seed with, and then try sowing this into the ground. But if plants could be obtained...
Yes, I do think getting plants will make it more effective and make a greater impact more quickly. Hopefully, you will be able to find several sources.

--just thought of this (not sure it is good idea or not) : put ad in Craigslist under "wanted" section (or "farm and garden" title post there "wanted"). You could ask for divisions of some natives that others may be willing to share...and possibly get volunteers at the same time. However, my original concern is that you will get people who know nothing about natives offering you all sorts of inappropriate or invasive plants.

I really commend you for wanting to do this.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #12
Rock Star

The last meeting of the Northern NJ Native Plant Society was for putting together seed bombs, unfortunately i missed it but it's worth an inquiry to see if there were leftovers. Or maybe another chapter is putting some together.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:30 PM   #13
Fox

I have found the hardest part is making a connection with "the powers that be". Once you get "in", you should be able to get a sympathetic hearing. What has worked for me is to volunteer with the organization first in any available capacity, and then once they know who I am, I make my real objective known.
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:29 PM   #14

philip,

I came across this thread and was wondering if anything ever panned out on your plans.

Care to update us?
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 06-28-2011, 09:14 AM   #15
Salamander

Oh, right.

Well, I talked to the person in charge, and I was told that the area had just been seeded with "Wild flower mix". So, I secretly thought great, I can harvest some seed at the end of the summer.

Masses of plants sprang up in the spring, everything was a little uniform looking, but none the less, lots of plants...

Annnnnnnd, it's all Cornflower. There are possibly (literally) 20 California Poppy plants scattered amongst the cornflower.

Suffices to say my heart sank a little when I found this out.

I am going to try and concentrate my efforts on this patch of land that really is completely untended at the end of my road here. I have been pulling Mugwort out all year now at this point, and I am actually starting to make a dent.

I am also going to do everything myself at the start, just to see what I can do. If there is interest then I can use this area as a sort of nursery for growing things for other areas where co-operative things can happen.

Basically I scaled back my ambitions somewhat...
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Well, I talked to the person in charge, and I was told that the area had just been seeded with "Wild flower mix". So, I secretly thought great, I can harvest some seed at the end of the summer.

Masses of plants sprang up in the spring, everything was a little uniform looking, but none the less, lots of plants...

Annnnnnnd, it's all Cornflower. There are possibly (literally) 20 California Poppy plants scattered amongst the cornflower.

Suffices to say my heart sank a little when I found this out.

I am going to try and concentrate my efforts on this patch of land that really is completely untended at the end of my road here.
My heart sank as soon as I read "wildflower mix". Cornflower immediately sprang to mind. ~sigh~ Well, in a year or two when that area becomes a huge mess, perhaps they'll be more likely to go with natives (and someone who knows what he's doing)... especially if you get your patch done up for comparison.

Quote:
I have been pulling Mugwort out all year now at this point, and I am actually starting to make a dent.
Making a dent with that species is a huge accomplishment. I should know; I'm battling it myself. Stupid me, the first year I saw it I let it go thinking it might be a native...went on to work on other areas, and before long, a year or so had passed before I'd identified it. Needless to say, I'm over run with it now. The first year, I was wary of removing anything that might be providing shelter and habitat...until I could replace it with something better. Even then, I knew enough to remove the multiflora rose--too bad I hadn't tackled the mugwort while it was a little more manageable.

Good luck on your project. Thanks for the update.

Tags
communal, community, crazy, park