Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
The Bug Whisperer

Default When New York City Bloomed

Of 1,357 native plant species documented in New York City’s history, only 778 remain here.
See New York City's Extinct Blooms - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

When you're in a city one tends to forget about the unseen and what may have originally been in its present location, Pre man.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:09 PM   #3
A Bee's Best Friend

Most people don't realize just how much biodiversity still exists in urban areas, especially big cities like New York. With all it has lost it is amazing that so much still exists. The cities will continue to lose species diversity unless an active stance is continued to save maybe even restore natural areas.
By natural I mean space where species other than humans and their pets can exist. I do not mean to engage in word games that try to define away what can be accomplished if we act together. By that I mean if the word natural applies to such spaces.
Marielle Anzelone (one of the writers in the article at your link) along with Stephen Packard are people I admire for their work in urban areas. Amid much denial and nay saying they moved forward with the work and got others to notice and learn.
Here is another great article of her's.

Marielle Anzelone: What Edward Norton Should Know for the UN's Biodiversity Summit

Quote:
Plant blindness is real. People barely notice plants or even realize they are alive! Most see native vegetation as the green backdrop to their outdoor forays. At the same time as the Pale Male controversy, scientists rediscovered Torrey's mountainmint on Staten Island. This globally-rare plant was inconveniently located on land threatened with development. Despite being only one of 20 known populations in the world, there was no public outcry. Bulldozers rolled in and the strip mall was built. Today the mountainmint lives in a sad, garbage-filled strip along a roadside. Its future is precarious. Without a large fan base, our native plants may survive only as photographs
Quote:
What nature really needs, then, is your star power to help garner better publicity. Human beings grossly undervalue and ignore the importance of this biodiversity, their life support system. Your voice will amplify the work that we conservation biologists do, and help mitigate our struggles with popular perceptions. I wish you much success but would encourage you to not quit your day job.
Marielle Anzelone is an urban conservation biologist and Co-Founder and Executive Director of NYC Wildflower Week.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:43 AM   #4
The Bug Whisperer

Thank you very much for your amplification, Gloria - as my British-born wife is wont to say about me, we seem very good at "...ignoring the bleedin' obvious"...

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
A Bee's Best Friend

The last of the 12 species noted

Rose Pink
Sabatia angularis
A sign that where welcoming habitat remains,lost plants may return.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bloomed, city, york