Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
A Bee's Best Friend

Default Biodiversity awareness...NYC leading the way?

Do you remember Marielle Anzelone of the native plant garden in NYC's Union Square?

Native Plant Garden, Union Square Park - a set on Flickr

Well she has an article in the Huffington Post Marielle Anzelone: 2011 Is Five-Borough Year of Biodiversity calling for the revision of PlaNYC to include a plan for nature and biodiversity that will take the lead in urban biodiversity action and awareness.

Quote:
The original PlaNYC doesn't mention nature at all. New York City has more nature than any other city in North America - more than Los Angeles and Chicago combined. Yet the city's 29,000 acres of forests, salt marshes and meadows aren't mentioned in the document.
Let's hope notice is taken by those in charge.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

That sounds promising. Thanks for sharing.

Wouldn't it be wonderful for people to realize there is wildlife even in such places as NYC--even I didn't realize how much until a certain member here mentioned it. Hopefully people will embrace bringing more nature (native plants and the wildlife they attract) to urban areas.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Some of the best birding can be found in Central Park. When I've been there, I couldn't believe the diversity! I saw a boreal owl there several winters ago!!
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
Some of the best birding can be found in Central Park. When I've been there, I couldn't believe the diversity! I saw a boreal owl there several winters ago!!
That makes me smile. I think most people assume cities have little or now wildlife.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 01-30-2011, 09:14 PM   #5
A Bee's Best Friend

Here is something I didn't know about New York's park system.

Quote:
Greenbelt Native Plant Nursery//NYC Wildflower Week 2010
The Greenbelt Native Plant Center is the only municipal native plant nursery in the country. It is a 13-acre greenhouse, nursery, founder seed and seed bank complex owned and operated by NYC Parks & Recreation. Over the past fifteen years, the center has grown hundreds of thousands of specimens from locally collected seeds of the city’s indigenous flora for use in restoration and replanting projects and is currently developing bulk seed mixes for the city. The GNPC is a partner in the establishment of the first national native seed bank called Seeds of Success.http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_about...npc/index.html
http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_about...npc/index.html

Old 01-31-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
A Bee's Best Friend

Dapjwy
When you think about our species need for exercise and sunshine for optimum physical health,
and the benefits to our mental health found in green spaces with a variety of wildlife, then add in ecosystem services,
it only makes sense for urban centers to prioritize biodiversity awareness and action.
Of course not everyone agrees with this and the less people interact with the other species on this planet the harder it is to get them to look at the evidence.
I'm optimistic even with evidence to the contrary that change will come as understanding spreads out through our culture.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:39 AM   #7
A Bee's Best Friend

Bridget1964, I once spent and entire day walking Central Park in New York City. The birds and other wildlife there are many and New Yorkers seem proud of this. There was a crowd gathering below a hawk perched in a tree. He seemed oblivious to those beneath his gaze.

More information about NYC and nature...
New Yorkers For Parks - The Natural Areas Initiative

Quote:
Why are natural areas important in New York City?

In every borough, natural areas are helping to keep our City livable.

•Natural areas decrease pollution, urban runoff and sedimentation in our waterways and buffer air pollution in a city with one of the highest asthma rates in the country.
•Natural areas mitigate flooding and the resulting damage, and provide recreational opportunities for residents and visitors, like hiking, biking and bird watching.
•Natural areas support life in our busy metropolis— plants and animals call the City home, too.

NYC Audubon

Quote:
Forever Wild Program
The Forever Wild Program is an initiative of the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation to protect and preserve the most ecologically valuable lands within the five boroughs. The 48 Forever Wild Nature Preserves include over 8,700 acres of towering forests, vibrant wetlands, and expansive meadows.
Quote:
The Natural Areas Initiative was established in 2001 by New Yorkers for Parks (NY4P) and the NYC Audubon to ensure long-term protection and management of the natural areas of New York City. There are currently 173 natural areas which include 12,000 acres of estuaries, forests, ponds and other habitats. NAI works to increase public awareness of natural areas and their benefits as well as to foster cooperation between non-profit groups, communities, and government agencies toward their protection.
Quote:
Breeding Bird Census
NYC Audubon, with the assistance of many dedicated volunteers and partners, has completed the following censuses of breeding bird activity in NYC parks:

Central Park 2008 - report to come
Van Cortlandt Park 2006
Central Park 1998
http://www.nycaudubon.org/projects/naturalareas/VanCortlandtCensus2006.Delacretaz.pdf
Check out page 13 of the Van Cortlandt Park 2006.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
Fox

Default Biodiversity awareness...NYC leading the way?

"Leading the way" might be a bit over-stated, but they do have many active groups of natural area supporters. I roamed all of the Staten Island Greenbelt throughout the '90's, and my 'biodiversity awareness' was awakened in those years. As you would expect in an urban area, invasives were everywhere.

Thanks for the memories!
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
Dapjwy
When you think about our species need for exercise and sunshine for optimum physical health,
and the benefits to our mental health found in green spaces with a variety of wildlife....

I'm optimistic even with evidence to the contrary that change will come as understanding spreads out through our culture.
I agree, and I share your optimism.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:37 PM   #10
Salamander

a while back, when I was working in NYU, I used to walk through Washington Sq every morning.

There was a couple of times when I saw an eagle, which I regret to say I can only describe "massive" perched in one of the trees.

Normally I wouldn't be looking in the trees on the way in, but the total pandemonium and general outrage of the rest of the animals in the place seemed to suggest something was seriously up.

There is quite a bit of life where I live now. I live on the cliffs overlooking the Hudson. There is a green belt along this cliff, called The Palisades, which a fair amount of wildlife seems to traverse.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attract, awareness, awarenessnyc, biodiversity, biodiversity awareness, central park, education, forests, habitat, habitat conservation, habitat creation, leading, meadows, native plants, nature, new york, new york city, nyc, palisades, salt marshes, urban, urban areas, wildlife