Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2009, 05:19 PM   #31
Salamander

I can't believe what I am seeing. Trees are better than flowers for the majority of caterpillars?
Old 04-28-2009, 06:54 PM   #32
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Knees View Post
I can't believe what I am seeing. Trees are better than flowers for the majority of caterpillars?
Well, yes and no.

Trees do support more species of caterpillars, but each species of caterpillar has it's own limited selection of host plants that it depends on. So using trees to supply food for caterpillars will help some species, but do nothing for other caterpillars. Trees would not help monarch butterfly caterpillars, for example.

The reason that the numbers of caterpillar species is so high for trees is that they support many species of moths. And there are thousands of species of moths in the U.S.

If your goal is to support a particular species of moth or butterfly, you have to identify and grow that species host plants. If you want to provide a lot of caterpillar food for birds, etc., trees would be the best choice.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:28 AM   #33
Carbon

Welcome to the Lepidopteran Ornamental Guide!
Thanks, New, for posting this site. Very useful information. I've never seen such a matter-of-fact listing of host plants for butterflies. And I'm sure you or someone else mentioned that butterflies, bees, other beneficials need a succession of plants for pollen and food. That's the tricky part for people living in typical subdivisions. One little home yard can't possibly provide the number of plants needed to sustain a population of anything. It requires a community of conscientious citizens to refrain from insecticide spraying and mowing lawns--just to suit modern tastes for neatness. I've gotten a few people to allow clover to grow where they used to cut anything growing on their crewcut lawns. Most clovers aren't native. But they nourish bees on properties that have no other flowering plants. I also find that people don't want to plant trees. Scared of them, I guess. And they don't like picking up fallen branches or having to mow around them.
maypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:19 AM   #34
WG Staff

Wildlife Corridors Benefit Plant Biodiversity, Native Plants
Old 04-29-2009, 05:33 PM   #35
Fox

Quote:
One little home yard can't possibly provide the number of plants needed to sustain a population of anything. It requires a community of conscientious citizens ...
True, but we should not underestimate the value of doing whatever we can do individually. Each little part helps. We should not be discouraged by the fact that we can't individually provide the total need. Who among us for example, could provide the total needs of an osprey or eagle. If we each do what we can, we will create a network of resources that can provide the habitat needs of a lot of species.

One good example where a small effort can provide a critical need is food for migratory birds. When these birds make their periodic stops, they have a critical need to replenish their body's energy reserves. A native shrub full of berries can be a life saver at a time like that.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:44 PM   #36
Unicellular Fungi

I'm a big proponent of creating wildlife corridors. In fact I think corridors will ultimately be responsible for the survival of many a species. I believe with all my heart that we can make a tremendous difference if our native plantings began connecting.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:03 PM   #37
Salamander

Aren't moths every bit as important as butterflies? I've learned very little about wildlife corridors. It was a term I didn't make a connection with until you all brought it up.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:29 PM   #38
Heron

And I'm a big proponent of people breeding less, LOL~!

Leaves more room for nature, etc.
Prairiefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:04 PM   #39
Salamander

Less people means less resources used.

Tags
sick, tallamy, trees