Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 11:08 PM   #1
WG Operations, Facilitator

Default Climate-Ready Crop Patents Threaten Biodiversity

Climate-Ready Crop Patents Threaten Biodiversity
11/10/2010
By Anna Archibald

Quote:
The ETC Group has identified over 1,663 patent documents that have been filed by some of the leading seed and agrochemical corporations, claiming “climate-ready” crops as the future of the world’s food supply - what some are calling “biopiracy.”

These patents, which are in violation of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) Seed Treaty, have raised concern from the Convention on Biological Diversity and FAO that these corporations may be attempting to monopolize the world’s plant biomass. It also raises concern about the future of the world’s food supply.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:53 AM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

We could sure use a return to traditional plant breeding programs capable of producing heat tolerant AND cold hardy varieties of food…just in case we need to adjust those sails and…. meaningful culturally appropriate educational programming to sustain humans by bringing their populations in line with the carrying capacity of their own lands wouldn’t hurt either. It’s the right thing to do because GM crops don’t exactly reduce the costs of agricultural inputs..… we don’t know all the risks they pose to our health...we've only scratched the surface of the risks they post to the environment and….to put it quite bluntly.... they failed to yield, http://www.ucsusa.org/assets/documen...e-to-yield.pdf. But…. traditional plant breeding doesn’t make big $$$ for BigAg….BigChem…BigOil or….BigPharma because they can’t create dependencies and monopolize a variety they can’t patent. We’re seriously long overdue bringing this to the Supreme Court. Nobody…. and I mean nobody…. should have ever gotten away with patenting tissues, cell lines, or human genes. Let BigCorp patent the hell out of drugs or…. anything else they want in the name of climate change but not life.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:16 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

There were 2 reasons for me originally wanting to educate myself on global warming…. restoration and food security. I’ve got to be able to make informed decisions especially when it comes to the food that goes in my family’s mouth. We’re peppering the world with GM seed that’s patented that nobody can save which forces industrialized agriculture on folk and that’s without even getting into the health and environmental risks that haven’t been studied due to lack of funding. No way should we be pushing industrialized agriculture on anyone. And now it’s really time for me to find something more productive to do with my time.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:14 AM   #4
A Bee's Best Friend

I so agree with equil. Our courts should say no to patents on life forms that have the potential to reproduce or transform.

http://www.5min.com/Video/Why-Biodiv...ters-516926377

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:53 PM   #5
Lungwort

I agree, what the heck were those lawmakers thinking? I would sure hate for someone to own me because of some gmo dna nightmare. That would be worst case scenario, but it could happen. I would like to see them try to own me though.... Life should not be something patentable it is unethical I believe.
maricybele is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biodiversity, biological, biomass, biopiracy, climate, climate ready, climateready, crop, diversity, fao, food, food crop, food supply, patents, ready, seed treaty, threaten, violation