Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 08:43 AM   #21
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stiles View Post
We could import wolves from Alaska or Canada ... Yellowstone used wolves from Canada for reintroduction.
Thanks. I was curious to know where they come from. It's not like you can farm-raise them and then turn them loose.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:32 AM   #22
WG Writer

Beautiful Animals. An excellent information on their impact.

When we say "environment" few people can encompass the complexity of relationships that entails.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:44 AM   #23
A Bee's Best Friend

I recently finished reading a book 'Where The Wild Things Were' by William Stolzenburg about this very subject. Informative book with lots of resources to check into.
Even in an urban area predators have a place. Coyotes have been found throughout Chicago an estimate of near 2000 since starting to keep track back in 1996.
But as soon as you mention a predator, even hawks, some people get very concerned. So mostly I don't talk about the Cooper's hawk catching baby rabbits or small mourning doves in our garden. I would never let the neighbors know that I spotted a coyote walking past our house late one night. The less noticed the safer they remain.
How do you go about addressing these concerns?
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:56 AM   #24
Heron

There is an increasing population of wolves in WI and MN. They are slowly repopulating where the habitat is appropriate.

I don't think its wise to force a re-population where there isn't enough habitat to sustain them OR where there would be too much interaction between people...
joepyeweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:56 PM   #25
Puff the Magic Dragon

I agree Joe. I just don't want them shot or poisoned out of existence again, and I imagine you agree.
old34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:15 AM   #26
Heron

Coming from a state that huge problems with deer browsing - near extinction of plant communities because deer need to be kept moving, I would hope the wolves spread quickly down state.
joepyeweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:19 PM   #27
Grub

Where I live we don't seem to have enough wild predators either-we have deer by the truck loads, with only a small smattering of wolf, coyote, panther and mountain lions thrown in. I had never seen a white panther before moving to TN. Now I can only pray that the hunters did not kill it this last hunting season, as I enjoyed watching it walk down the mountainside every morning to get a drink at the stream across the horse pasture where I live.

I know we have black bear near here, although I have yet to see them. I know they are slow and not really equipped to kill the over population of deer, but surely they too must have a place in the food chain.
bigbike4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:42 PM   #28
Heron

I'd like to see bobcats re-introduced, too. We got coyotes. Mountain lions have been seen in the area, even after the lovely Chicago Po-lice chased one puma down for 6 hours last April and killed it. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Still makes my blood boil.
Prairiefreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecosystem, restore, wolves