Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
WG Contest Coordinator

Default The cost of Invasives

It has been estimated that invasive plants cost an estimated $35 billion per year nationally in crop and livestock losses, property damage, eradication efforts and reduced agricultural exports. Their threat to biodiversity is second only in rank to habitat loss.

Profiting from invasive plants: the challenge of controlling the horticultural****industry - Front Page - Conservation Maven
tineckbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

I was really started by some of these statistics!

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
Unicellular Fungi

bridget1964, have you any familiarity with the Pimentel Report-
Title
Old 04-26-2010, 08:08 AM   #4
WG Staff

Default Non-native plant species cause billions in damage

Non-native plant species cause billions in damage
Murray Fulton Special to Rankin Ledger April 20, 2010

http://www.rankinledger.com/apps/pbc...ions+in+damage
excerpts from above:
Quote:
It's not something most people think about every day, if at all.
Quote:
Invasive plant or animal species are "alien" or non-native to a particular ecosystem; their introduction can cause serious environmental harm or harm to human health.

And they're everywhere. Some include:
Old 04-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
WG Contest Coordinator

I wish that there was a way to get the idea and the big picture across to the general public. I keep hoping that "if they only knew" they would stop and things would get better.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
Unicellular Fungi

We send mixed signals when we allow the horticultural industry to continue enjoying unconscionable profits at the expense of our environment-
SpringerLink - Journal Article
Old 04-26-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
WG Contest Coordinator

I know what you mean. Every time Mary and I go to a nursery, we are always suggesting that they should carry more native plants. Every once in a while we will come across a native plant and do not hesitate to buy them. We found some nice Northern Bayberry (Mryica Pensylvanica) this weekend, bought 3 of them. It was obvious that they had been there for awhile. If I were king, they would only be allowed to sell native plants. If you want a plant that grows in china, move to china.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:15 PM   #8
Fox

I got the Certified Wildlife Backyard sign from the National Wildlife people. Now I need one that says in LARGE print: "Native Plant Sanctuary".
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:31 PM   #9
WG Contest Coordinator

I am currently the lead volunteer for the National Wildlife Federation for their project with Subaru America in installing demonstration gardens. All of the other volunteers were contacted directly by the NWF because they had certified yards. I was contacted through different channels because of my native plant mania. I was going to get my yard certified through the NWF but I felt that their requirements were not strict enough concerning native plants. I have even told them this. We will see if they change some of the requirements...
Old 04-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #10
Unicellular Fungi

I would like to have a sign for my property that tells the world I am choosing to use native plants for the sake of all children who will inherit the earth from us.

Tags
biodiversity, cost, habitat loss, horticultural industry, invasive flora, invasive plants, invasives, non-native, non-native plant, non-native species