Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #21
Unicellular Fungi

In urban environments where coyotes are afforded access, bird diversity is high. In urban environments where coyotes are excluded, bird diversity plummets. There is nothing mystical about what is occurring. Cats and small dogs are easy prey for coyotes.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #22
A Bee's Best Friend

Lorax, it is suprising how many small animals raid the eggs and young nestlings. Raccoons,skunks and opossum and even some rodents. It is amazing any live through all the hazards. Just a few coyote and or foxes will help keep the smaller animals in check. Not elimate just more balance so everyone has a chance at survival.
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:55 AM   #23
Grub

I think coyotes being in my own neighborhood have perhaps brought the raccoons into check a bit. When we first moved into our home my sunflower feeder would often be on the ground in the morning and I was fairly certain it was raccoons taking it down.

Now, while neighbors are talking about seeing them more often on our street it occurs to me that my feeder hasn't been knocked down in quite some time.

I tell the panicky neighbors, whom I get along with well, to not worry so much - that the coyotes have no interest in us and are not going to attack any of our children. The pocket dogs are a different matter though . . .
TimSaupe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biodiversity, bioscience, carnivore, carnivores, chronic wasting disease, conflicts with coyotes, conflicts with deer, conflicts with wildlife, deer hunting, dnr, ecosystems, extinction, illinois department of natural resources, living with wildlife, management, mesopredator, mesopredator release, mesopredators, mesopredatorsa, nature, omnivore, omnivores, pest animals, predator, predators