Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #1
WG Facilitator

Default Lost World Found In Crater

Scientists discover an environment that has evolved in isolation for 200,000 years.

Lost world of fanged frogs and giant rats discovered in Papua New Guinea | Environment | The Guardian

"A lost world populated by fanged frogs, grunting fish and tiny bear-like creatures has been discovered in a remote volcanic crater on the Pacific island of Papua New Guinea.

A team of scientists from Britain, the United States and Papua New Guinea found more than 40 previously unidentified species when they climbed into the kilometre-deep crater of Mount Bosavi and explored a pristine jungle habitat teeming with life that has evolved in isolation since the volcano last erupted 200,000 years ago. In a remarkably rich haul from just five weeks of exploration, the biologists discovered 16 frogs which have never before been recorded by science, at least three new fish, a new bat and a giant rat, which may turn out to be the biggest in the world."

Last edited by biigblueyes; 09-08-2009 at 08:28 PM. Reason: remove annoying formatting
biigblueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

That is fantastic news and the accompanying gallery of photos was beautiful.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:22 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Rats are so darn cute. That rat thing looking at me was cool. Good find. I hope more photos end up making the news. I want to see the tiny grunting bear like animal.

Tags
crater, found, lost, world