Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
WG Staff

Default Human activity is driving Earth's 'sixth great extinction event'

Human activity is driving Earth's 'sixth great extinction event'
Jul 29 2009 08:52
Population growth, pollution and invasive species are having a disastrous effect on species in the Southern hemisphere, a major review by conservationists warns.
guardian.co.uk Guardian News and Media 2009

Human activity is driving Earth's 'sixth great extinction event' - Mail & Guardian Online: The smart news source
excerpts from above:
Quote:
Earth is experiencing its "sixth great extinction event" with disease and human activity taking a devastating toll on vulnerable species, according to a major review by conservationists.
Quote:
The report highlights several studies that point to serious threats from diseases such as avian malaria and the chytrid fungus, which has been linked to large declines in frog populations. One of the most devastating animal diseases is an infectious form of facial cancer that is spreading rapidly among Tasmanian devils, the world's largest marsupial predator. Populations of the animals are believed to have fallen by more than 60% because of the disease.
Quote:
The report sets out a raft of recommendations to slow the decline of species by introducing new laws to limit land clearing, logging and mining; restricting the deliberate introduction of invasive species; reducing carbon emissions and pollution; and placing strict limits on fisheries. The report raises particular concerns about fisheries that cause disproportionate destruction to ecosystems by bottom trawling, and using cyanide and dynamite.

It also calls for the establisment of early-warning systems to pick up diseases in the wild.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:03 PM   #2
WG Writer

Default Sweet little guy!

tasmanian devil
Attached Thumbnails
Human activity is driving Earth's 'sixth great extinction event'-tasmaniandevil-wiki.jpg  
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

That tasmanian devil is cuter than some people I know. We'd solve a lot of our problems if we humans would stop breeding like blessed rabbits. We should offer free sterilization to anyone who wants it.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
WG Writer

Yet efforts to limit population are attacked by people who believe that human protoplasm is sacred. From what I see we had a better understanding of the population problem in the 1960s than we do now.

Most young women I know think they should be having children - whether they can afford them or not. And, today, marriage has nothing to do with it. As long as women think it is their "duty" to procreate there will not be less people. And the one's we need less of, are the women who think like this. They are the one's who grow up to drive suv's and throw their plastic in the garbage. They are the massive consumers who don't understand the concept of sustainability.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
WG Staff

Efforts to limit population aren't attacked exclusively by people believing human protoplasm is sacred.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

Where I am, the more babies welfare moms have... the more entitlement money and programming they qualify for. They qualify for larger apartments with more bedrooms the more kids they have too. We are rewarding them for reproducing. Some woman have this down to a science. Welfare moms receiving benefits are supposed to go to work when their youngest reaches school age... but if you have work on having another one when your youngest turns 4... well then you've bought yourself another 5 years. If they have a kid that isn't school age at home... they aren't required to even look for work. If they have too many children and begin "stressing", my state provides them with personal shoppers and household assistants to help them with such tasks as routine cleaning, food preparation, and laundry. Those who want to re-enter the workforce are provided with free day care and many other services and supports... but taking advantage of this programming isn't pushed. We pay for them to complete HS and to go on to college too and provide childcare while they're attending classes. Needless to say... making babies can be a ticket to stay home and get paid for staying home. What's really disturbing is that many of the children of these moms grow up to be welfare moms themselves. I've run into 3rd and 4th generation welfare moms where none of them have worked. I hope something comes of all the publicity surrounding that welfare mom out in California that had 6 kids before having the octopluts their tax payers get to support.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:27 AM   #7
Heron

I wish more people would look within themselves and try to figure out why they "need" to have children. There are 10's of thousands of already extant children that need loving parents.

I think Ego is #1.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:22 AM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

You're progably right on the ego being number one reason why people "need" to have their own biologicals. I've heard many other reasons why people "need" to have biologicals. I think another issue is most people who find out they can't have children "need" infants. We were in the minority when we "needed" to have children. We were willing to take anything BUT an infant. I don't care for babies. I never have. You're DEFININITELY right on how many children there are out there in need of parents.

Tags
activity, driving, earth, event, extinction, great, human, ixth