Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2020, 10:51 PM   #1
Grub

Default Whatcha got growing?

Spring is coming in nice and slow here in NYC. The magnolias are putting on a show. Unfortunately too many of us are sheltering in place. I thought it might be nice to talk about what is blooming or growing in your gardens or nearby that is making you happy.

My lindera - spicebush is flowering. Actually one of two is flowering. It looks like male flowers to me. I hope my other one is female so I can get berries. The male plant is so much further along, that I donít know if they will cross pollinate. I see the happy, yellow blooms from my kitchen window along with a very plump robin, so Iím thankful.
Attached Thumbnails
Whatcha got growing?-2dc0664e-0df0-4049-a40c-8a819a019fbd.jpeg  
Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:26 PM   #2
Grub

Salix discolor, and Packera aurea flower buds
Attached Thumbnails
Whatcha got growing?-20200314_145328.jpg   Whatcha got growing?-20200321_145611.jpg  
skip1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:04 PM   #3
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip1909 View Post
Salix discolor, and Packera aurea flower buds
Beautiful!
I love a nice, drawn out spring when every plant gets a chance to shine. I have to plant some Salix when I find a good place. My Brooklyn garden is too small and dry.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:33 AM   #4
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Beautiful!
I love a nice, drawn out spring when every plant gets a chance to shine. I have to plant some Salix when I find a good place. My Brooklyn garden is too small and dry.
Only thing that has really yet transformed in the yard is the pussy willow, which is sporting large attractive buds at the moment. It's been cold and inclement here, so things are a bit slow right now. I did see in my neighbor's yard a red maple that was about to burst into flower...

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 01:07 PM   #5
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Whatcha got growing?-psx_20200324_135626.jpg

Whatcha got growing?-psx_20200324_135739.jpg

Whatcha got growing?-psx_20200324_135900.jpg
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 02:37 PM   #6
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

That moist pussy sure is a beauty!!!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:41 AM   #7
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Looking good, Dap!!

Oracle at Delphi
Old 04-02-2020, 11:01 AM   #8
Grub

Yesterday was a beautiful day here after endless amounts of rain. I know we need rain, but it was making the quarantine issue so much more difficult. I got to spend some time cleaning up my little garden. I was a good environmental gardener and left the leaves in place until things warmed up and whatever was nesting in them hopefully left. I have to admit it's a relief to look out my window and not see the mess. Here are a few things that are starting to peek out of the ground.

Golden Alexander, Solomon's Seal, Meadow Rue and Wild Ginger. Very excited. Everything is sideways because I didn't re-size the images, but it doesn't really matter except with the Solomon's Seal.
Attached Thumbnails
Whatcha got growing?-hdhusyg1ryohqlzasgsajw.jpg   Whatcha got growing?-fxd4c9z0sbqm8jyx5-sfyg.jpg   Whatcha got growing?-th6nzs-s8a4hx8cko7ddw.jpg   Whatcha got growing?-fhjzuvrntpqwzag25sqnba.jpg  
Old 04-02-2020, 07:22 PM   #9
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Yesterday was a beautiful day here after endless amounts of rain. I know we need rain, but it was making the quarantine issue so much more difficult. I got to spend some time cleaning up my little garden. I was a good environmental gardener and left the leaves in place until things warmed up and whatever was nesting in them hopefully left. I have to admit it's a relief to look out my window and not see the mess. Here are a few things that are starting to peek out of the ground.

Golden Alexander, Solomon's Seal, Meadow Rue and Wild Ginger. Very excited. Everything is sideways because I didn't re-size the images, but it doesn't really matter except with the Solomon's Seal.
Looking good, Martha, We up here on the Mass /NH border haven't yet seen much at all. It's been rainy and cold in the high 30's and low 40's. I'm biting at the bit to get out there...

Oracle at Delphi
Old 04-03-2020, 08:49 AM   #10
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Myself as well.
Temps got in the 40's maybe 50's? this week , the snow's finally melted and am in a holding mode as far as raking until the soils dried a bit. About all I can do is trim off tops and lay it into the beds that it will be hand tilled under. Springs not far off so while in wait, planning my attack, gathering supplies and prepping what I can.

Martha:
I like that meadow rue. I used to call it my panicle plant because of it's tiny leaves that played so lovely in the breese till I got to know it's true name. It started as a volunteer and if I've the room I will always let a volunteer do it's thing to see if it's worthy of a keep or not. One thing I did learn about this plant was to cut it's top off after it blooms as it does spread by seed. Here and there I also pull some of the young sprouting from its base to keep its size down

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
growing, whatcha