Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2017, 07:17 AM   #1
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Default How Spiders Increase Plant Diversity

I found this article and thought it worth sharing:

How Spiders Increase Plant Diversity ? In Defense of Plants
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:49 PM   #2
A Bee's Best Friend

Monitoring the behavior and interaction of species has given us so much more information with which to use in conservation. This is why habitat protection is as important as species protection. No species acts alone. Thanks dapjwy.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:15 AM   #3
Salamander

Very interesting article!
Old 10-15-2017, 09:45 AM   #4
Great Horned Owl

spider3

Thanks for the fine article, Dap. I've long been a believer in the need and efficacy of fostering predators in an environment. They're the law on the beat, making sure no others begin to upset nature's balance, and though I'm not completely unafraid of spiders, I like seeing the one's I'm familiar with doing well in the yard, as I know they're keeping many other insects under control.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
Monitoring the behavior and interaction of species has given us so much more information with which to use in conservation. This is why habitat protection is as important as species protection. No species acts alone. Thanks dapjwy.
Right, no species acts alone.

There is a purpose for everything.

I wish more of the general public understood the need to preserve intact habitats...and that individual species interact in ways we rarely even know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
Very interesting article!
~smile~
Someone on Facebook shared it. As soon as I read it, I knew that I had to share it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Thanks for the fine article, Dap. I've long been a believer in the need and efficacy of fostering predators in an environment. They're the law on the beat, making sure no others begin to upset nature's balance, and though I'm not completely unafraid of spiders, I like seeing the one's I'm familiar with doing well in the yard, as I know they're keeping many other insects under control.
You are welcome.

I hope as more and more studies come out, the general public comes to accept the need for predators, both big and small.

I don't want them crawling in me (~smile~), but I am happy to find quite a variety of spiders making their homes on our property. As I encounter new-to-me spiders, I look them up...eventually, more and more will become familiar to me.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 10-25-2017, 09:38 PM   #6
Hippie Gardener

Very interesting article! And I agree, I hope more of the general public (and ranchers) can begin to accept that predators, large and small, are important to a healthy ecosystem.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
Very interesting article! And I agree, I hope more of the general public (and ranchers) can begin to accept that predators, large and small, are important to a healthy ecosystem.
Yes. Exactly...both large and small.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:03 AM   #8
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
Amen! to that!!!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diversity, increase, plant, spiders