Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2017, 11:22 AM   #1
A Bee's Best Friend

Default Milkweed action video

Over the years I have seen a lot of insect activity on milkweed. But usually not all at once. A larger stand of almost any native planting provides for so many diverse creatures creating, for a space of time, a window into this world.

The Xerces Society provided this link to a video of the insect action at a stand of milkweed. Check it out.

Monarch butterflies, bees, other insects take over Yosemite National Park fields | The Sacramento Bee

Quote:
The Xerces Society
We hope you had a lovely Labor Day weekend. If you're diving back into the hectic schedule of work or school this week, take a moment to lower your blood pressure by watching this dreamy video of monarchs and other visitors congregating around a stand of showy milkweed. There's an especially good shot of a honeybee with pollinia dangling from its feet, a phenomenon unique to milkweed visitors - but more on that another day....

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:19 PM   #2
Carbon

Thanks for sharing. Beautiful! Did notice the pollinia, which was really cool. Wish I hadn't seen the praying mantis, but know it's just doing its thing.
Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:11 PM   #3
Hippie Gardener

Cool! Thanks for sharing this, Gloria
Old 09-08-2017, 09:18 PM   #4
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Great find.

Thanks for sharing, Gloria.

Yes, Martha, I was not expecting the praying mantis either, but I agree that it has to eat, too.

Welcome aboard, Martha.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:04 PM   #5
Heron

Might be the last butterfly the mantis would eat though. Monarch's are poisonous after all.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:39 PM   #6
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerBOO View Post
Might be the last butterfly the mantis would eat though. Monarch's are poisonous after all.
No clue whether praying mantids can handle milkweed toxins. May also depend on whether the mantid is native to the US. Oleander aphids use milkweed toxins to their advantage but ladybugs and lacewings can handle it.

The caterpillar does all the work but the butterfly gets all the publicity.

George Carlin
KC Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:04 PM   #7
Fox

I finally had a chance to watch this video. I don't usually have access to high speed internet. Very nice!

It really is a very interesting experience to observe nature, if only people would take the time to look at the little things that surround us. The little things that make life possible for our species.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:47 PM   #8
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
I finally had a chance to watch this video. I don't usually have access to high speed internet. Very nice!

It really is a very interesting experience to observe nature, if only people would take the time to look at the little things that surround us. The little things that make life possible for our species.
So true. I've often felt on a safari when walking through a milkweed field. The plant draws such a variety of fascinating creatures, some efficient predators, just as does the savanna. Each is as wild as the other, and to the observant student, each, the field and the savanna, effectively tells the wonder filled story of life.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, milkweed, video