Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2017, 12:36 PM   #1
A Bee's Best Friend

Default Anemone cylindrica/thimbleweed

Attended a native plant sale in the city of Chicago just over a week ago. Picked up 22 new plants. Yes I can squeeze them into the existing garden...lol. With the removal recently of an old juniper there is a big area of bare ground that needs filling. Plus as I remove other non-native plants there is room for new natives.
Mostly we are a very low lying area which rarely needs watering. But the north end of the garden has a slope that is very sunny and tends to dry out between rains in summer. So a different plant community does better there. I am hoping these conditions will be good for Thimbleweed/anemone cylindrical , which will be growing near prairie dropseed and threadlead coreopsis in our garden.

Anemone cylindrica. Buttercup family (Ranunculaceae).
Native to prairies, dry open woods, slopes, limestone glades, pastures and roadsides throughout southern Canada south to New Jersey, Illinois, Missouri and Arizona.

The first two pictures are after planting in the garden.

The third picture is from Minnesota Wildflowers and shows what the plants should eventually look like. I included a link to Restoring The Landscape because there are pictures of thimbleweed in autumn with a showy cotton tuft seed head which looks pretty cool.

If these new plants are successful we can add several more.

https://www.minnesotawildflowers.inf...er/thimbleweed

Thimbleweed (Anemone cylindrica)

Quote:
Faunal Associations ... The abundant pollen of the flowers attract small bees and Syrphid flies. The bee visitors include Plasterer bees and Halictid bees. Mammalian herbivores usually avoid consumption of this plant because the foliage is toxic, causing a burning sensation in the mouth and irritation of the gastrointestinal tract.

Range & Habitat: The native Thimbleweed occurs occasionally in northern Illinois, it is scattered and uncommon in central Illinois, and rare or absent in southern Illinois (see Distribution Map).

Habitats include dry upland areas of black soil prairies, loess hill prairies, scrubby barrens, limestone glades, sandy Black Oak savannas, open sandy woodlands, abandoned fields, and open areas along roadsides. This plant is usually found in less disturbed habitats.
Restoring The Landscape With Native Plants: Native Plant of the Week: Thimbleweed ~ Anemone cylindrica
Attached Thumbnails
Anemone cylindrica/thimbleweed-img_5132.jpg   Anemone cylindrica/thimbleweed-img_5130.jpg   Anemone cylindrica/thimbleweed-screenshot-1470-.jpg   Anemone cylindrica/thimbleweed-img_5078.jpg   Anemone cylindrica/thimbleweed-img_5079.jpg  

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:36 AM   #2
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
If these new plants are successful we can add several more.
NO need to worry there as they SPREAD readily. Maybe TOO much so for some folk!

I have them and trim the heads off before they spit. I just LOVE their open airiness and no bed should be without a touch........ of white!
A bit of a spark so to speak.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:43 PM   #3
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Nice, Gloria.

I have them...I try collecting their seed and sowing them...but after almost 10 years, I still don't have very many. I have found one or two show up in the "lawn"...but they have yet to take over or even spread muc. Perhaps I don't have enough disturbed soil.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:09 PM   #4
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

musical notes4

Just moved mine to another spot where they can do more of their own thang.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anemone, cylindrica or thimbleweed