Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2017, 10:20 PM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Well said. That is what I'm hoping for, and probably something that will happen sooner than to you. I've been considering moving to Florida year round, but have put it off for love of my garden here in MA. I won't be selling here this year, nor next, probably. But beyond that lies uncertain, as I'm growing wearied of moving twice a year and maintaining two homes.

If only I could still tolerate the New England winters....
If only.

I feel for you. I am hoping to stay here all of our lives...but, winter does get old. I cannot imagine living in Florida though.

Funny, Jeff and I were just talking with a friend earlier today; she was talking about Florida, and Jeff mentioned retiring to Delmarva. Although, I have read that it is beautiful and that the northern ranges and southern ranges of many natives overlap there, I cannot imagine leaving our home here--especially once it has transformed and matured.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:04 PM   #12
Fox

pawprint

The little Redbud needs training I guess. He is growing kind of sideways to the RT. in the pix, toward the sunshine, which is good...... [ probably because he is at the base/undershade of a big white oak]Hackberry Addition--Ellen-100_3274.jpg

.........I do want him to lean, eventually after he gets some height, would make a nice shade of the mossy path there in the pix.
Anyway, all his leaves got ate off with the first round of bugs this spring, but...he has new leaves again!

wildone
Old 05-28-2017, 04:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post
The little Redbud needs training I guess. He is growing kind of sideways to the RT. in the pix, toward the sunshine, which is good...... [ probably because he is at the base/undershade of a big white oak]Attachment 44869

.........I do want him to lean, eventually after he gets some height, would make a nice shade of the mossy path there in the pix.
Anyway, all his leaves got ate off with the first round of bugs this spring, but...he has new leaves again!

wildone
He will lean, and that will make him more picturesque. I'm glad you like that--i it gets out of the reach if deer, it will be fine.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 06-03-2017, 03:58 PM   #14
Alternate POM Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
As I continue to add species to my habitat garden, I continue to increase biodiversity. My latest addition had spent a few years in a pot--but, perhaps that has given it a head start, and it is now ready to compete on its own in the woodland's edge (what will be the woodlands edge once my pocket woodland grows in...for now, the fast-growing blackberry will provide more shade).

I planted it near a 7-8 foot tall yellow birch...i am hoping that juxtaposing its smooth, peeling bark with the warty bark of the blackberry will provide visual interest...and a chance to point out to visitors how bark varies so much in species of mature trees. I'm always looking to the future...i just hope I'm here to see things begin to mature.

I finally planted the hackberry that Ellen had given me when we met--quite a few years ago. I just wanted to give an update and say thank you.

Attachment 44846

Attachment 44847

Attachment 44848

Attachment 44849

Thank you, Ellen.
I'm glad it has done so well dap. I have been admiring the large area I now have from the blue lobelia you gave me. One of my favorites. I look forward to it blooming every year
Old 06-03-2017, 04:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
I'm glad it has done so well dap. I have been admiring the large area I now have from the blue lobelia you gave me. One of my favorites. I look forward to it blooming every year
~smile~ good to hear.

I put a fence around it to protect it from the deer. The lower branches were protected, but most of the leaves from the tallest shoot were eaten. I need a taller fence! I'm sure it will grow from where the few leaves are left...and it will soon be out if their reach...then, I will free the lower branches, and the deer can do what they like.

Thank you again...it is a nice addition to my terrace path. (Natural terrace.)
Old 06-04-2017, 10:03 AM   #16
Alternate POM Judge

Quote:
~smile~ good to hear.

I put a fence around it to protect it from the deer. The lower branches were protected, but most of the leaves from the tallest shoot were eaten. I need a taller fence! I'm sure it will grow from where the few leaves are left...and it will soon be out if their reach...then, I will free the lower branches, and the deer can do what they like.

Thank you again...it is a nice addition to my terrace path. (Natural terrace.)
Good job protecting it from the deer. It has grown well. My hackberries grow very slowly
Old 06-04-2017, 12:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
Good job protecting it from the deer. It has grown well. My hackberries grow very slowly
Really? When I read up on them, they were considered rapid growers!
Old 06-05-2017, 11:52 PM   #18
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Noooo That's comparable to fearing a dentist. The what if's.....
There's ALWAYS the hope of everything going well!
From my experience, it is more like there is always a teensy bit of hope. When people buy a house, they want to make the yard their own. What is beneficial to nature is not on their radar. And if it is, they add nature friendly stuff after wiping out what was already there. A few new milkweed plants is just as good as the old 60' oak right? ;(

When the time comes to sell my current house, I plan on marketing it to the Ohio insect crowd first.

The caterpillar does all the work but the butterfly gets all the publicity.

George Carlin
KC Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Clark View Post
From my experience, it is more like there is always a teensy bit of hope. When people buy a house, they want to make the yard their own. What is beneficial to nature is not on their radar. And if it is, they add nature friendly stuff after wiping out what was already there. A few new milkweed plants is just as good as the old 60' oak right? ;(

When the time comes to sell my current house, I plan on marketing it to the Ohio insect crowd first.
Sounds like a plan!

Also, with more people becoming aware of natives, the monarch's plight, the idea of permaculture, etc...i am hoping there is a market for our properties.

Even native plant nurseries may want them as a supply of natives seeds.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:23 PM   #20
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Yes, I am fine leaving it for others to enjoy--I wish it could become a park or instructional landscape or something.

My fear is that the next owner will chop it all down.
That is my fear as well. Especially since we are in the city and surrounded by "lawn farmers". I fear that when/if we move, my natives will be tilled under and replaced with the turf grass I have been trying so hard to get rid of.

Tags
additionellen, hackberry