Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2017, 02:36 PM   #1
A Bee's Best Friend

Default Planting bear scat???

This article has me ready to schedule a hiking/camping trip in bear country this year. I so would like to see what would come up and grow. I like that they intend to plant some of the seedlings in the area where the scat was found. Return to mother nature her own. I must remember that and do likewise if successful. Read this awesome account...

What Happens When You Plant a Pile of Bear Scat? Ė Cool Green Science

Quote:
Adding to the excitement is the human labor scat saves. Woody plants, like chokecherry, are hard for people to germinate. Nature is better at it. Park staff tries to mimic natural germination by soaking seeds in acid baths, but it doesnít work nearly as well as a bearís stomach.

Quote:
The scat seedlings, which are twice as tall as any human-grown sprout, are not an official scientific study with volumes of data and hours of research. Theyíre unofficial and called pocket science. This mini-experiment produced the kind of results that make adding real science motivating.
Quote:
ďIím getting a lot of questions like, what will come out of deer poop or elk poop? I say, ĎNothing. They donít eat berries,íĒ Stockton says. ďItís opened up a conversation for sure. Thatís wonderful. Iím totally into what Iím doing and when I get anybody interested in what Iím doing and they let me talk for five minutes, Iím thrilled.Ē
Trish Stockton, Rocky Mountain National Park biological science technician, checking on her 1,200 seedlings sprouting this spring in bear scat collected last fall. Photo courtesy of Rocky Mountain National Park
Attached Thumbnails
Planting bear scat???-dsc01673-1-.jpg  

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:02 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Love it!

Thank you for sharing, Gloria.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bear, planting, scat