Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2016, 01:34 PM   #1
A Bee's Best Friend

Default Doug Tallamy does a Native Podcast interview

Listen to Tallamay talk about the continuing loss of insect numbers and his lastest research project Welcome to Coolbeans Research

Doug Tallamay takes on 'coffee growing as habitat' research to help those of us paying extra for shade grown coffee see what really works to feed the insects and birds within the shady habitat.

Quote:
"Help us change the culture of shade coffee from
one that makes shade to one that makes bird food"...
https://www.nativeplantpodcast.com/p...ng-nature-home

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 01:17 PM   #2
Fox

What a great project!! We already know from Tallamy's research which trees support the most insects in our area, now it will be great to know which species of trees support the most insects in the winter habitat of the migrant birds.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:09 PM   #3
Great Horned Owl

Being down here in Southwest Florida for the winter, I'd love to hear from him which species are most beneficial to birds and insects. I've planted some shade loving coffee plants that produce berries that birds love and that are being trumpeted as environment friendly natives, but it would really be rewarding to have him produce a list of the very best species to plant, as I have very little room around the house.

I've planted pentas in front of the house, and the red flowers attract pollinators well and they are native here. I also have planted the aforesaid coffee plants in teh shade, as they need shade to thrive.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:15 PM   #4
Fox

I did a quick Google search and I was surprised to learn that there are about 100 species of coffee trees:
Quote:
Species: arabica makes up approximately 70% of the world's coffee production. Other species not so common in specialty include canephora (var."Robusta") and liberica. Of all of the Coffea species, only arabica is self-fertile, and therefore can be self-pollinated. The arabica species also typically have lower caffeine contents than canephora.
Specialty Coffee Association of America

It will be interesting to learn if some of the coffee tree species feed a lot of insects as well as the many species of trees that provide the shade for the coffee trees.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:06 PM   #5
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
arabica species also typically have lower caffeine contents than canephora.
That's good to know..I just started cutting down on the caffeine I drink in the beginning of this week actually to see if it makes any difference in my evening rest period. Bought a canister of decaf and mixed it half and half with the regular grind because in drinking just decaf it seemed to be lacking in something....Not as the zip in it as I don't drink coffee as a wake me up. I drink it because I enjoy it's steaminess the flow of the hot liquid' it's flavors passing over the taste buds...Can't nail it but hmmmm I'ts just bland I guess. In blending it half and half it still retains it's flavor, it's spunk.

Now when I start blending the decaf with the flavored coffees I sooo enjoy..now that may be something entirely different. We'll see and if that's the case I may end up adding a few more calories and flavor to the brew with the flavored creams.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
doug, interview, native, podcast, tallamy