Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2016, 09:19 AM   #1
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Default How Wolves Change Rivers

Well worth watching...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=ysa5OBhXz-Q
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:09 PM   #2
Great Horned Owl

Great video, Dap. The benefit of reintroducing the wolves to Yellowstone has been well documented, yet the number of people around the park who would like to eradicate them all is staggering. When I was out there a few years ago, in Cody, Wyoming, on the eastern border of the park, bumper stickers were common that read "Glad you enjoyed your stay, please bring a wolf home with you." Every inn and restaurant I went into had signs vilifying wolves.

Ignorance abounds...

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:04 PM   #3
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

~sigh~ That is depressing.

I actually saw this video on Facebook. I am starting to see social media as a great way to get out information like this. Just educating the average person has to make a huge difference, even if some people will refuse to be reached (those with the bumper stickers seem less likely to budget I their thinking).
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:56 PM   #4
Hippie Gardener

I'm reading a good book right now about wolves in the West. The book is called "Wolf Land" but Carter Niemeyer. I read his first one as well, "Wolfer". Carter was a Federal Trapper for many years. He got involved with the wolf reintroduction to YNP in the 90's. Both good books.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:49 PM   #5
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
I'm reading a good book right now about wolves in the West. The book is called "Wolf Land" but Carter Niemeyer. I read his first one as well, "Wolfer". Carter was a Federal Trapper for many years. He got involved with the wolf reintroduction to YNP in the 90's. Both good books.
Katjh, what are the copyright dates on those works?? Please. I'm just wondering if they're more recent than my last trip out to Wyoming and Idaho.
Thanks!

Oracle at Delphi
Old 01-12-2017, 09:30 PM   #6
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Katjh, what are the copyright dates on those works?? Please. I'm just wondering if they're more recent than my last trip out to Wyoming and Idaho.
Thanks!
Jack, "Wolfer" is 2010 and "Wolf Land" is 2016.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:17 PM   #7
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Jack, "Wolfer" is 2010 and "Wolf Land" is 2016.
Thanks! I'll see library down here has one or both. I'd like to give one a try!

Oracle at Delphi
Old 01-13-2017, 09:06 PM   #8
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Katjh, I acquired a copy of Wolf Land today and I'm already angry about the way some ranchers play God with their control efforts about what other creatures can exist in their purview.

I was just reading about the use of the pesticide Furadan and how it kills not only target animals but all scavengers that happen upon the poisoned animal. They feed on the flesh and they die also. With my interest piqued, I looked up the product and found this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE5LCgbLUMw

Oracle at Delphi
Old 01-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #9
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Katjh, I acquired a copy of Wolf Land today and I'm already angry about the way some ranchers play God with their control efforts about what other creatures can exist in their purview.

I was just reading about the use of the pesticide Furadan and how it kills not only target animals but all scavengers that happen upon the poisoned animal. They feed on the flesh and they die also. With my interest piqued, I looked up the product and found this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE5LCgbLUMw
The real "kick in the gut" is that many/most of the ranchers are grazing those cattle and sheep on OUR land....for a very minimal fee. When predators kill their animals on our land, the ranchers want OUR animals killed. Yup, makes me angry as well.

I like Carter's books because he has been on both sides of the fence, so to speak. He worked as a Federal trapper (i.e. Killer) for many years and then got involved with the reintroduction. It changed his entire life.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:15 AM   #10
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Great video, Dap. The benefit of reintroducing the wolves to Yellowstone has been well documented, yet the number of people around the park who would like to eradicate them all is staggering. When I was out there a few years ago, in Cody, Wyoming, on the eastern border of the park, bumper stickers were common that read "Glad you enjoyed your stay, please bring a wolf home with you." Every inn and restaurant I went into had signs vilifying wolves.

Ignorance abounds...
There are similar anti-predator (wolf and grizzly) billboards along the highways in WY and MT. Depressing, indeed.

Tags
change, rivers, wolves