Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2016, 09:19 AM   #1
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient
 
dapjwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Default How Wolves Change Rivers

Well worth watching...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=ysa5OBhXz-Q
__________________
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:09 PM   #2
Great Horned Owl
 
jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northeastern MA
Default

Great video, Dap. The benefit of reintroducing the wolves to Yellowstone has been well documented, yet the number of people around the park who would like to eradicate them all is staggering. When I was out there a few years ago, in Cody, Wyoming, on the eastern border of the park, bumper stickers were common that read "Glad you enjoyed your stay, please bring a wolf home with you." Every inn and restaurant I went into had signs vilifying wolves.

Ignorance abounds...
__________________
"Know thyself."

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:04 PM   #3
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient
 
dapjwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Default

~sigh~ That is depressing.

I actually saw this video on Facebook. I am starting to see social media as a great way to get out information like this. Just educating the average person has to make a huge difference, even if some people will refuse to be reached (those with the bumper stickers seem less likely to budget I their thinking).
__________________
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:56 PM   #4
Hippie Gardener
 
katjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Michigan
Default

I'm reading a good book right now about wolves in the West. The book is called "Wolf Land" but Carter Niemeyer. I read his first one as well, "Wolfer". Carter was a Federal Trapper for many years. He got involved with the wolf reintroduction to YNP in the 90's. Both good books.
__________________
One with the earth, with the sky, one with everything in life. I believe it will start with conviction of the heart.
~Kenny Loggins~
katjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:49 PM   #5
Great Horned Owl
 
jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northeastern MA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
I'm reading a good book right now about wolves in the West. The book is called "Wolf Land" but Carter Niemeyer. I read his first one as well, "Wolfer". Carter was a Federal Trapper for many years. He got involved with the wolf reintroduction to YNP in the 90's. Both good books.
Katjh, what are the copyright dates on those works?? Please. I'm just wondering if they're more recent than my last trip out to Wyoming and Idaho.
Thanks!
__________________
"Know thyself."

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:30 PM   #6
Hippie Gardener
 
katjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Michigan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Katjh, what are the copyright dates on those works?? Please. I'm just wondering if they're more recent than my last trip out to Wyoming and Idaho.
Thanks!
Jack, "Wolfer" is 2010 and "Wolf Land" is 2016.
__________________
One with the earth, with the sky, one with everything in life. I believe it will start with conviction of the heart.
~Kenny Loggins~
katjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:17 PM   #7
Great Horned Owl
 
jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northeastern MA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
Jack, "Wolfer" is 2010 and "Wolf Land" is 2016.
Thanks! I'll see library down here has one or both. I'd like to give one a try!
__________________
"Know thyself."

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:06 PM   #8
Great Horned Owl
 
jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northeastern MA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
I'm reading a good book right now about wolves in the West. The book is called "Wolf Land" but Carter Niemeyer. I read his first one as well, "Wolfer". Carter was a Federal Trapper for many years. He got involved with the wolf reintroduction to YNP in the 90's. Both good books.
Katjh, I acquired a copy of Wolf Land today and I'm already angry about the way some ranchers play God with their control efforts about what other creatures can exist in their purview.

I was just reading about the use of the pesticide Furadan and how it kills not only target animals but all scavengers that happen upon the poisoned animal. They feed on the flesh and they die also. With my interest piqued, I looked up the product and found this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE5LCgbLUMw
__________________
"Know thyself."

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #9
Hippie Gardener
 
katjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Michigan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Katjh, I acquired a copy of Wolf Land today and I'm already angry about the way some ranchers play God with their control efforts about what other creatures can exist in their purview.

I was just reading about the use of the pesticide Furadan and how it kills not only target animals but all scavengers that happen upon the poisoned animal. They feed on the flesh and they die also. With my interest piqued, I looked up the product and found this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE5LCgbLUMw
The real "kick in the gut" is that many/most of the ranchers are grazing those cattle and sheep on OUR land....for a very minimal fee. When predators kill their animals on our land, the ranchers want OUR animals killed. Yup, makes me angry as well.

I like Carter's books because he has been on both sides of the fence, so to speak. He worked as a Federal trapper (i.e. Killer) for many years and then got involved with the reintroduction. It changed his entire life.
__________________
One with the earth, with the sky, one with everything in life. I believe it will start with conviction of the heart.
~Kenny Loggins~
katjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:15 AM   #10
Hippie Gardener
 
katjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Michigan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Great video, Dap. The benefit of reintroducing the wolves to Yellowstone has been well documented, yet the number of people around the park who would like to eradicate them all is staggering. When I was out there a few years ago, in Cody, Wyoming, on the eastern border of the park, bumper stickers were common that read "Glad you enjoyed your stay, please bring a wolf home with you." Every inn and restaurant I went into had signs vilifying wolves.

Ignorance abounds...
There are similar anti-predator (wolf and grizzly) billboards along the highways in WY and MT. Depressing, indeed.
__________________
One with the earth, with the sky, one with everything in life. I believe it will start with conviction of the heart.
~Kenny Loggins~
katjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
change, rivers, wolves

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2