Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2016, 12:57 PM   #1
A Bee's Best Friend

Default Can Nature Save Us?

Sanjayan , Scientist, conservationist, charming speaker, a man with an important message about embracing the human community if we are going to get things done. Harnessing a local voice for conservation because let's face it, they have to want it to continue and often are full of information useful to using the land sustainably.

I like the concept of conservation as a land use.

It is so comforting to hear his voice of reason after all the noise being made by and about a small group on the west coast. This is not about that but works as such a repudiation of that point of view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D6ZpWkxT_k

Quote:
Published on Jan 4, 2016

M. Sanjayan, Ph.D., Senior Scientist, Conservation International
Dr. Sanjayan’s talk covers how human communities are helping nature thrive and how bringing people into the picture — that is, emphasizing that humans are a part of our world’s natural systems and not separate from them, complements traditional conservation tools such as protecting important natural areas.
42nd Annual Natural Areas Conference-Plenary Session
At the end of the 46 minute video is this. Powerful but odd after all Sanjayan said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmVLcj-XKnM.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:22 PM   #2
A Bee's Best Friend

Another video well worth watching for information about the changes taking place in conservation and how to reconcile with traditional values. I highly recommend this as it has been hard for me to understand and except some of this. Maybe my age or loner personality but it has taken some effort on my part to see what this man says so well. Wildness and wilderness have differing definitions with both being necessary to mans well being.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfNMb2jVPOg

Quote:
Published on Jan 4, 2016

Reed Noss, Ph.D., Professor, University of Central Florida
Dr. Noss suggests that in order for collaborations to be effective, conflicting ideas about why, where, and how to practice conservation must be reconciled. His lecture examines some of the major concepts and themes of conservation, traditional and new, and concludes that they may be either complementary or competing. The practice of natural history is the key to restoring joy and meaning to conservation and to reconciling many conflicts. Natural history, well presented, is inherently interesting to people and awakens compassion and concern for the well-being of other species and their habitats.
42nd Annual Natural Areas Conference-Plenary Session
Attached Thumbnails
Can Nature Save Us?-screenshot-956-.jpg  

Old 01-06-2016, 08:28 PM   #3
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I'm just scanning the site for now...so I'll have to read it later. I just wanted to mention that I have often wondered if I am a loner...I feel like I'm a loner...but a loner who likes people. Reading you refer to yourself as a loner made me want to share that.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:03 PM   #4
A Bee's Best Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I'm just scanning the site for now...so I'll have to read it later. I just wanted to mention that I have often wondered if I am a loner...I feel like I'm a loner...but a loner who likes people. Reading you refer to yourself as a loner made me want to share that.
Gardening and nature are good for those of us who like people but really need alone time. I have enjoyed volunteer work most especially as it has pushed me to socialize more with others inclined to like alone time and conservation work. We seem to understand each other.
Wilderness to me is about humanity facing nature without civilization making it comfortable and tame. As Dr. Sanjayan says it is fascinating to some of us to know there are creatures out there that could do us in but many do not find that thought comforting.
On the other hand nature and wildness are everywhere. The garden, the park, a river through the city, a public space around public buildings, even city beaches.
We very much need more awareness of the human need for both the solitude of wilderness and the community of wildness.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:41 PM   #5
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
Gardening and nature are good for those of us who like people but really need alone time. I have enjoyed volunteer work most especially as it has pushed me to socialize more with others inclined to like alone time and conservation work. We seem to understand each other.
Wilderness to me is about humanity facing nature without civilization making it comfortable and tame. As Dr. Sanjayan says it is fascinating to some of us to know there are creatures out there that could do us in but many do not find that thought comforting.
On the other hand nature and wildness are everywhere. The garden, the park, a river through the city, a public space around public buildings, even city beaches.
We very much need more awareness of the human need for both the solitude of wilderness and the community of wildness.
Gloria,

It sounds as though you have found a good balance...now, if only humanity could find a balance.

Over the years of walking my paths and seeing predatory insects and other critters, I've often thought about how many animals live as prey (even if they are predator to other prey)...always aware that something could pounce or swoop down and do them in--it really made me think how I walk around as if there is nothing to fear.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:44 PM   #6
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Nature Is Speaking - Conservation International I just looked into each and they are absoulutely stunning.
Are they being created for television or for playing in theater?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:00 PM   #7
A Bee's Best Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Nature Is Speaking - Conservation International I just looked into each and they are absoulutely stunning.
Are they being created for television or for playing in theater?
I don't know how they are marketing the videos. The Julie Roberts one was on tv but the others I have only seen on youtube. Social media is a force to be reckoned with these days. More and more advertisers are getting in on the exposure.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:24 PM   #8

Just checked Netfix Not in their listing.
I'm looking for full length movies..... Is that all they are, just 2-3 min flicks? I want, want want to see so much more.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:23 AM   #9
A Bee's Best Friend

I think it is mostly an advertising tool to try and get more people thinking about the importance of these differing natural phenomenon. Short bursts of interesting information, in our culture, seems to work better at catching and keeping attention in the overloaded sensory systems of modern life.
Look at Facebook and twitter. Even on the blogs we were told repeatedly not to make any one post overly long as then no one would read.
There are some good movies that feature nature at its best and worst. I like "Christmas In Yellowstone". At about 50 minutes it gives a good look at the beauty of winter wildness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZQ7yZH0_6o

Old 01-13-2016, 10:51 AM   #10

Thanks Gloria No wonder why I couldn't locate them and thanks for the link. I'll be watching it.

Tags
nature, save