Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2015, 07:25 AM   #11
Offical Silphium Abuser

I want to live there! (Or at least within walking distance) Having lived near woods most of my life, I have in recent years fallen in love with prairie.

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:51 AM   #12
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

That looks like an excellent source of information on restoration, Gloria. Thank you so much for posting it.

I began reading it last night before going to bed. I wI'll have to go back when I have more time to absorb the wealth of information (based on years of real life experience) posted there.

Here is just a short out take--which clearly states what has just been a nebulous idea that has been in the back of my mind since starting my own restoration project:

Quote:
...We expect plants (and whole communities) to move around over time (in response to droughts, fire, disease, and all else the ecosystem faces). Many areas are obviously becoming “more conservative” or “higher quality” or just “healthier” over time. A species that fits well in an area during one phase of the restoration process may not fit there years or decades later. But while it was successfully competing, that little population made tens of thousands to millions of seeds, and all those little embryos scattered themselves far and wide to prospect for new opportunities. Some species may thrive for a while and then vanish from the site forever. Fine. Others may wander as refugees from place to place and eventually find their perfect niches. That’s nature.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
A nice read. Thank you Gloria!
Yes. I am looking forward to reading the whole thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
I want to live there! (Or at least within walking distance) Having lived near woods most of my life, I have in recent years fallen in love with prairie.
That would be great--living within walking distance.

I'm hoping that, after 7-8 years of winging it, that I am finally buckling down enough to begin showing some real progress with my project. I firmly believe that the next 10 years will bring great changes here. Even the next three should really bring the establishment of my native meadow. Just think what 20 years could bring!

I, too, mostly knew the woodland and the ephemeral wildflowers, but, with bluebirds nesting here each year, I've decided to create a much larger meadow than I'd have originally thought. Instead of just small pockets of asters and goldenrod, I now have big plans for an Eastern prairie with a much more diverse and dynamic interplay of species, both grasses and forbs. (Read "grasses" as grass-like species including rushes and sedges.)

I'm excited about creating various communities on our two acres...but I realize having much larger tracts of land would allow more areas that naturally would develop into wetlands, woodland, meadow, rocky outcrops and such.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 10-31-2015, 08:04 PM   #14
Offical Silphium Abuser

Looking forward to your pictures, dap.

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
Looking forward to your pictures, dap.
Thanks, Rebek. I've been meaning to post some for a while now.

It seems to me all I have are still on the "before" side of things. I guess they are more "during" shots...I can't wait to have some "after" photos.

Tags
accomplish, dedication, restoration