Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Biodiversity (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/biodiversity/)
-   -   what's blooming now 2014 (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/biodiversity/12301-whats-blooming-now-2014-a.html)

EllenW 01-12-2014 08:52 PM

what's blooming now 2014

dandelions! Another reason I love dandelions. They bloom when nothing else is blooming. What a welcome sight to see flowers outside today. They must have been relieved to experience some warmer weather after the extreme cold we had recently.

Sage 01-12-2014 09:40 PM

What's blooming now? In Buffalo? :rofl

Rebek56 01-13-2014 07:03 AM

Ellen, I'll have to look for dandelions--haven't seen any yet. (With not much lawn, we don't have many dandelions anymore, Sigh.)

EllenW 01-13-2014 10:28 AM

When I moved here I had lots of dandelions. The horses love them so there are no more in the pastures. I'm sure the neighbors like that. I like them. While others are killing them and growing their grass I am digging up the grass and keeping the dandelions. Its a lot of fun watching the birds eat the seeds from all that fluff.

dapjwy 01-13-2014 07:05 PM

When I was a teenager, I remember seeing the bank along a roadside where the homeowner left the grass unmowed. Among the tall grass were many dandelion flowers. I remember thinking that was much more attractive than mowed Chemlawns. I still think that little section would be better for wildlife..but I evolved to thinking native grasses and wildflowers support so many more species. Now, if I ever get my dream, I'll plant my native meadow...without dandelions--except the native dwarf one (Krigia virginica) if I can find it. I already have K. biflora...two flowered Cynthia, I think is one common name. :).

turttle 01-13-2014 09:03 PM

I am impressed you have dandelions, Ellen. The couple of days we had of frigid cold seem to have put a damper on things here. My winter blooming honeysuckle, which is an evil, pernicious invasive and I am not allowed to talk about, was blooming before the cold but now is quivering in shock having lost a bunch of buds. However, I do see basal rosettes of bunches of things coming up, so it won't be long. Sage, do you have any inside blooms? Ice flowers? When does the first flower come up in Buffalo?

dapjwy 01-14-2014 09:47 PM

I saw a dandelion blooming a few weeks ago...I almost took a picture, but since it is not a native, I didn't bother.

dapjwy 01-14-2014 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turttle (Post 143080)
My winter blooming honeysuckle, which is an evil, pernicious invasive and I am not allowed to talk about...

Turttle, why aren't you allowed to talk about it? Does it get your blood pressure too high?

linrose 04-14-2014 09:17 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Some things blooming now, dogwood just starting, redbud and sassafras finishing up, serviceberry and Carolina silverbell just starting, fothergilla, celandine poppy, violets, moss phlox, tiarella, cutleaf toothwort and spring beauties that are shy on cloudy days like today.

linrose 04-14-2014 09:25 AM

More bloomers

5 Attachment(s)
More blooms minus the spring beauties, violets and toothwort.