Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2014, 05:58 PM   #291
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerBOO View Post
Yes Native. Woodland Knotweed (Polygonum virginianum). Also called Jumpseed, when you touch the seed it explodes off the stem.
Cool to know. Thanks, rB! I think I've seen it around here...either in the yard, or on one of my walks. Nice to know it is native--the "knotweed" part of its name is tempered by the "woodland" part...AND knowing it is native. With my struggles against the Japanese knotweed, perhaps I'm better off finding and using its botanical name.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birding Bunch View Post
I don't believe it, but my Cow Slobber is still blooming!! I am glad I wrote down the date of the first blooms- 5 june. They've been going for more than three months.
Attachment 41582
"Cow Slobber"! LOL! What a name! Until I opened the thumbnail photo, I thought it would be something from out West that I'm not familiar with--now I see it is what we call spiderwort.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 10-13-2014, 07:36 PM   #293
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
kat I almost lost my jewelweed too. I didn't even know what it was at first. I figured it out and found out it likes moisture. What a dry summer we had here. I had 2 plants and one died. I kept the other one watered and it did well. I will be interested to see if it provides me with plants in the spring.
Ellen, there are SO many plants I'd love to grow that want moisture...I'm almost tempted to turn my back yard into a swamp/wetland so I can grow them all . I am finally resigned to just enjoying them in photos and other people's gardens. I don't have an area that is really moist, except around my very modest bird bath/pond.

I spent much of this dreary fall day doing some fall cleanup. About all that is left here now are the asters. I do love the asters. I think I could really love an entire aster bed! In fact....I may just try that!
katjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:44 PM   #294
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Trumpet vine is blooming one flower at a time. This is the first time it has flowered in over 10 years
I have a Trumpet Creepet that volunteered in my yard a few years ago. After trying in vain to get rid of it (it's right next to the garage) for years, the Creeper and I have reached an uneasy agreement. I tolerate it, but keep it pruned. I chop it WAY back in the fall so it has to start all over in the spring. I am also constanty pulling/cutting strays. I know the hummingbirds like it, but I have so many other things for them. I will admit that it is pretty when it blooms. Mine is orange.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:45 PM   #295
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
"Cow Slobber"! LOL! What a name! Until I opened the thumbnail photo, I thought it would be something from out West that I'm not familiar with--now I see it is what we call spiderwort.
I found that rather funny as well. Never heard it called cow slobber before. Mine still has a handfull of blooms on it as well.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:27 PM   #296
Alternate POM Judge

Here I am hoping and praying my trumpet vine will bloom every year and you are hacking away at yours kat. Not me. It can take over the property if it would just bloom a lot. I love it.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:08 PM   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
Ellen, there are SO many plants I'd love to grow that want moisture...I'm almost tempted to turn my back yard into a swamp/wetland so I can grow them all . I am finally resigned to just enjoying them in photos and other people's gardens. I don't have an area that is really moist, except around my very modest bird bath/pond.
I'm starting to really want to create some type of wetland. Not the entire yard, but I've wanted one on a small scale along with my pond, streambed (yet to be built), woodland, and native meadow. The desire to start digging a wetland area (and putting down a liner) is really starting to build. I may do it before I do the pond...that way I can start enjoying the plants now...and by the time I get the pond built, they will already be creating a great backdrop for it.

There is a thread (or several, perhaps) on building a rain garden. By redirecting run-off from your roof, you may just be able to create a wetland of some sort to support at least some of your favorites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
I spent much of this dreary fall day doing some fall cleanup. About all that is left here now are the asters. I do love the asters. I think I could really love an entire aster bed! In fact....I may just try that!
If you do, please post photos!
Old 10-14-2014, 06:32 PM   #298
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerBOO View Post
Vine might be Mikania sp. maybeMikania scandens? Hempweed or Climbing Boneset.
Thank you, RockerBoo. I have only just now gotten back to this thread, but I think you nailed it. We saw some on Little St Simons Island, too. It likes wet soil, so I don't think I will ever try to plant it, but I do think it is pretty!

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:59 AM   #299
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Here I am hoping and praying my trumpet vine will bloom every year and you are hacking away at yours kat. Not me. It can take over the property if it would just bloom a lot. I love it.
It is a very pretty plant, Ellen. I'm just a bit nervous about where it decided to grow. It's growing up the garage so I'm concerned it will do damage to the structure. I have to be heavy handed with it to keep it in line. It doesn't seem to mind, though. It comes back big and beautiful every year. It is in full sun and a very dry location. I guess that's what it likes. Mine is also the orange one, yours appears to be more red. Maybe the orange is more hardy?

I'll try to remember to take some photos next year. I'm not much of a photographer, but I finally got one of those "smart" phones and it takes pretty nice pics. Problem is, the danged phone is smarter than me and I's still trying to learn how to use it for anything more than phone calls and texting
Old 10-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #300
Alternate POM Judge

haha kat, That sounds like me. I am not very good with devices/electronics. They are too complicated and I don't have the patience to figure them out. I'm sure I could take better pictures if I took the time to figure out what everything on the camera does.

Tags
2014, blooming, cornell university, flower id, phlox divaricata, phlox stoloniferia