Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2014, 03:25 PM   #211
Alternate POM Judge

Wow I love that big tall plant
Old 08-08-2014, 10:57 PM   #212
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
hey dap I can see red on the cardinal plants you gave me. Won't be long now. Can't wait!
YAY!

I spotted one lobelia in one of the spots I put the seedlings...it was forming buds, I sort of thought it was the cardinal flower, but I'll know more as it gets older/bigger.

Today, I actually got Jeff to walk with me a reservoir about half an hour from here. We had time to kill before a movie (we've only gone twice in all the time we've been together--and that was all in the past two years since they know have glasses that project the captions on the screen for the viewer). Anyway, it was great that there was no humidity...and, as we got close to the water, I spotted some cardinal flowers blooming through the trees...once we got around the bend, I got a great view of them along a "sand bar' or whatever you'd call that.

I'm hoping I can get back there to collect some seed, so I'd have the local ecotype.
Attached Thumbnails
what's blooming now 2014-cardinal-flower-patch.jpg   what's blooming now 2014-cardinal-flowers.jpg  
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:00 PM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
It's soooo dry here now, no rain for 3 weeks. Tick trefoil (one of the many, there are 16 different species in Kentucky) and hawkweed are blooming. Ironweed is just starting.
Sorry it is so dry for you, linrose.

I discovered tick trefoil after moving to NE PA...I'd love to get it established on our property.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 08-08-2014, 11:01 PM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerBOO View Post
I think I have that. Nice pic by the way.

I also have what looks like a lobelia with really tiny flowers.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:02 PM   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
I am pleased to report an unabused silphium.
~smile~

Does that mean you can get a title change?

...I can't even remember the story behind that...care to share?
Old 08-08-2014, 11:08 PM   #216

Speaking of Silphium...here is my cup plant in bloom:

what's blooming now 2014-20140730_134526.jpg

I'm actually happy that mine is no more than about 6 feet in height. I bet if it were in a more moist area, it would be taller. I kind of like it this height.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:16 PM   #217

Here's a better photo...

what's blooming now 2014-cup-plant.jpg
...but I still can't find a good one showing its height (or lack there of).
Old 08-09-2014, 06:28 AM   #218
Offical Silphium Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
~smile~

Does that mean you can get a title change?

...I can't even remember the story behind that...care to share?
I think I must once have mentioned abusing my original silphium plant. It had followed me from our old house, and when I dug it up to bring it to WV, discovered that it had never been planted but just heeled in, pot and all, for at least two years. The poor thing's roots were bursting the plastic pot. (Am pleased to report that it survived, although the one in the picture is a different plant.)

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:29 AM   #219
Offical Silphium Abuser

The original abused plant has never gotten taller than six feet or so and the flowers are smaller, even though it is the same species planted only a few feet away from the giant.

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:51 AM   #220
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

I have a bunch of silphium that appear to be prairie dock, S. Terebinthinaceum, which was in the seed mix I planted there. However, the basal leaves are more like 8-12 inches than the 12-18 inches my book says they should be. I suspect it is because of abuse and neglect - I have it in my roadside bed, in hard pan clay, getting water only when it rains and sun in the morning but not afternoon.

Have the rest of you seen dwarfing like this in silphiums, or should I be looking further into its identification? I don't have photos on my iPad, which is what I am typing on right now, but it has a basal rosette, and not that many leaves on the tall stalks, which have single flowers at the top, so I am pretty sure I am right.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, blooming, cornell university, flower id, phlox divaricata, phlox stoloniferia