Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2014, 03:07 PM   #91
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Ooh, I like the Atamasco lily, I planted some last fall but I have no idea where! Carolina lupine is lovely too.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #92
Offical Silphium Abuser

I'd never heard of Atamasco lilies--must learn more!

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:47 PM   #93
Alternate POM Judge

We are having storms here too turttle.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:47 AM   #94

The penstemons are in full bloom now and looking strong. I probably need to stake some of them, they've gotten a lot of water with all the rains we've had and are starting to flop. Wild quinine is starting and downy phlox is still going strong after almost a month of bloom, it smells wonderful. Oak leaf hydrangea is beginning and so are some of the viburnums, nudum and bracteatum. The honeysuckle is still blooming and growing madly, another long bloomer. Itea has opened its buds and the flowers dangle elegantly from the branches.
Attached Thumbnails
what's blooming now 2014-penstemon-digitalis.jpg   what's blooming now 2014-terraces-penstemons.jpg   what's blooming now 2014-wild-quinine.jpg   what's blooming now 2014-lonicera-sempervirens-magnifica.jpg   what's blooming now 2014-oakleaf-hydrangea.jpg  

Old 05-28-2014, 11:51 AM   #95

Default More blooms

virginia sweetspire, bracted viburnum, possumhaw and purple flowering raspberry bud.
Attached Thumbnails
what's blooming now 2014-itea.jpg   what's blooming now 2014-viburnum-bracteatum.jpg   what's blooming now 2014-viburnum-nudum.jpg   what's blooming now 2014-purple-flowering-raspberry-bud.jpg  
Old 05-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #96

More from today.
Attached Thumbnails
what's blooming now 2014-asclepias-tuberosa-buds.jpg   what's blooming now 2014-browneyed-susan.jpg   what's blooming now 2014-coreopsis-palmata.jpg   what's blooming now 2014-heliopsis-helianthoides.jpg   what's blooming now 2014-penstemon-mystica.jpg  

Old 05-28-2014, 07:59 PM   #97
Alternate POM Judge

Wow a lot going on in your habitat linrose. Beautiful pictures. thanks
Old 05-28-2014, 08:06 PM   #98
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Oooh! I love your flowers, linrose! My penstemon are going crazy. The stupid thing is I got this urge to figure out exactly what kinds I had, since some I planted, and some are volunteers; I believed I had keyed them out correctly, then when I went back and looked at what I planted, either I can't key correctly or they were labeled incorrectly. I suspect it was my error.

Atamasco lily was a NC "Flower of the Year" a few years ago. It takes forever to grow from seed, but I got mine at the botanical garden as small plants. It is a bog plant, likes its feet wet, blooms for only a short time in the spring, then disappears until next year.

My viburnums are already past.

My Echinacea are starting. Coreopsis lanceolata have been going for over a week. Baptisias are inconsistent, some are already past, some are still blooming. I don't remember if I posted my comfrey photo earlier - it is still blooming and I am consistently seeing my one hummingbird visiting it. This is the non-native one, but there is a native comfrey I have been looking for.
what's blooming now 2014-coreopsis-bloom-may-2014.jpg what's blooming now 2014-comfrey-blossoms.jpg what's blooming now 2014-echinacea-first-bloom-perennial-bed.jpg

My Philadelphus inodorus has been amazing. It has done better than all my other shrubs combined, despite shade, poor soil and competition from all kinds of tree roots. Three cheers for an amazingly hardy plant! And, it has a scent, despite its name!
what's blooming now 2014-philadephus-inoderata-blooming-may-2014.jpg

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:02 AM   #99
Offical Silphium Abuser

[My Philadelphus inodorus has been amazing. It has done better than all my other shrubs combined, despite shade, poor soil and competition from all kinds of tree roots. Three cheers for an amazingly hardy plant! And, it has a scent, despite its name!
http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...g-may-2014.jpg]

I think this is the philadephus I got as a passalong plant and stuck in the shaded compost area because the start got left off while I was out of town for a couple of days, so it lay with its roots out of the ground. It has gone crazy this year--but ours has very little scent, compared to the mock-orange my mother grew years ago.

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:26 PM   #100
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

I have never smelled the other kind of mock orange to compare it to. Mine has a scent, but it isn't terribly strong.

Bush's poppy mallow and Southern bush honeysuckle/Diervilla
what's blooming now 2014-bushes-poppy-mallow-may-2014.jpg what's blooming now 2014-diervilla-bloom-may-2014.jpg

I have seen my hummingbirds going to the Diervilla, despite the fact it isn't red.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, blooming, cornell university, flower id, phlox divaricata, phlox stoloniferia