Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
Co-Administrator

bumblebee This is what your grocery store would look like without bees - Gina DeCandia

This is What Your Grocery Store Would Look Like Without Bees - Gina DeCandia
Author: Marissa Palin
Quote:
PROVIDENCE, R.I., June 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- One of every three bites of food comes from plants pollinated by honeybees and other pollinators. Yet, major declines in bee populations threaten the availability of many fresh ingredients consumers rely on for their dinner tables.

To raise awareness of just how crucial pollinators are to our food system, the University Heights Whole Foods Market store temporarily removed all produce that comes from plants dependent on pollinators. They pulled from shelves 237 of 453 products – 52 percent of the department's normal product mix.

Products removed included:
This is what your grocery store would look like without bees - Gina DeCandia - Food 2025 - ANR Blogs

Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

Now that's a visual that'll stick in my mind. I knew BigAg relied heavily on honeybees but.... it's still a shocker seeing that. This visual should be used in posters or something to get the point across that.... we're in trouble.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Scary isn't it!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Very cool--clever idea to really make an impact. Equil is right; it should be a poster. I think the posters should be displayed in the produce section of grocery stores.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #5

WHY NOT!
This is what your grocery store would look like without bees - Gina DeCandia-without-bees.jpg
I added a bit of white around the image so it fits a full page photo print off.
Question being....IS it be legal to run off copies for display at the local markets????

Old 06-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
WHY NOT!
Attachment 37090
I added a bit of white around the image so it fits a full page photo print off.
Question being....IS it be legal to run off copies for display at the local markets????
I like the white; it separates the two photos and creates a nice border.

I guess I was thinking that they would willingly display them. I was thinking with permission, but after reading your comment, I'm thinking I've seen some community bulletin boards in moment grocery stores. I figure you could put them there.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 06-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #7

Might be ok to display them if you added her name to them Gina DeCandia otherwise It might be considered using ones photos without giving credit where credit is due.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Might be ok to display them if you added her name to them Gina DeCandia otherwise It might be considered using ones photos without giving credit where credit is due.
Yes, by all means, give credit where credit is due...and a link to the web address, too.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:15 PM   #9
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

Why are there still oranges in the image? And whatever that red fruit is on the middle table, Pomegranates? Does citrus just produce seedless fruit if they don't get pollinated?
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrILoveTheAnts View Post
Why are there still oranges in the image? And whatever that red fruit is on the middle table, Pomegranates? Does citrus just produce seedless fruit if they don't get pollinated?
I wondered about the oranges as well.

Tags
bees, decandia, gina, grocery, store