Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
A Bee's Best Friend

Default Summer squash, whole foods and biodiversity

I always grow some summer squash and a winter squash or two. But with this small urban property I also buy squash because we like it...(more variety than we have space to grow.)
Whole foods is trying to sell summer squash and will give a bit of cash to Xerces if you want to buy your squash from them.

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/pages/The-Xerces-Society/193182577358618?hc_location=stream

Quote:
As part of the Share the Buzz campaign, Whole Foods Market stores nationwide will donate $0.10 to the Xerces Society for each pound of summer squash sold between June 12 and 25. Yup, on every summer squash: zucchini, yellow, crookneck, and all the others. The money raised will go directly to support our work with farmers across the country, helping them to restore wildflower-rich native habitat and protect local biodiversity.
Whole Foods is running Share the Buzz in celebration of National Pollinator Week (which is next week).
To help you find ways to eat squash, we’ll be posting a recipe every day until June 25 right here on our Facebook page.
I'll be watching those recipes.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
Fox

pawprint I don't think we have a whole foods in my town

We like squash too, here is a pix of some flowers on the squash.

~~Sigh~~ but some grass hoppers, stink bugs, and a big grey caterpillar have been working over-time on my plants, oh yeah and some 'unknown' critter I couldn't catch as he moves under the cover of the dirt.

I hope we get some squash this year.Summer squash, whole foods and biodiversity-early-june2013-004.jpg

ww
Old 06-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
A Bee's Best Friend

Looks like you have plenty flowers forming. Hope you get plenty of squash.
A book by Sally Jean Cummingham "Great Garden Companions" talks about companions as creating a diverse community more like outside our gardens.
So a few flowers to draw beneficial insects and ground covers to protect the soil.
She suggests radishes which will be removed before the squash get big, thyme, marigolds, basil and nasturtiums. I have tried some of her ideas and like the results. Fits well with our gardening philosophy.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
Fox

pawprint I should try the companion planting this year

Hey I've got some radishes growing I can stick in there! I'll try that today. (I've got em growing amongst the snap peas just now, but lots to spare) I have some dill growing, I could try there also. I guess I could buy some Thyme, Basil, & Marigold seeds for today, I'll try that too.

Thanks for the tip!

ww

Tags
biodiversity, foods, squash, summer