Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
A Bee's Best Friend

Default Biodiversity-our microbial signature in the home.

At first this article sort of spooked me. Then came the idea that a more biologically diverse landscape could, maybe, affect the indoor microbes in a positive way . This is a field of study that could get very interesting very quickly.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/28/science/getting-to-know-our-microbial-roommates.html?smid=fb-share&_r=0

Quote:
Dr. Fierer, 39, a microbiologist at the University of Colorado Boulder and self-described “natural historian of cooties,” walked across the front lawn and into the house, joining a team of researchers inside.
Quote:
One 2012 study in Finland, for example, found that plant diversity outside was linked to a greater variety of bacteria on human skin inside homes; moreover, teenagers with this increased biodiversity were at lower risk for allergies.
Quote:
“We’ve seen it as an improvement to make homes more insulated, but maybe that’s a mistake from the standpoint of ecological diversity,” he said. “We’re far from making a quantitative analysis of the trade-off. And once it’s shown, it’s another huge step to convince architects and engineers that this is important enough.”

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Very cool article. I always listen intently when the topic of microbes come up, it's facinating to me.

Here's one I heard on NPR recently
Parents' Saliva On Pacifiers Could Ward Off Baby's Allergies : Shots - Health News : NPR

and this one
Having a Dog May Mean Having Extra Microbes : NPR

and this one
Research Reveals Yeasty Beasts Living On Our Skin : Shots - Health News : NPR
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #3

I just realized that Dr. Fierer had teamed up with Rob Dunn, a biologist from NC State on the "Wild Life of Our Homes" project. Rob Dunn was interview for the dog story above.

Wild Life of Our Homes
Old 06-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
Heron

I think that we have to be careful of microbiologist. They are almost like psychologists. They theorize too much, and they , like their microbes are always looking for a niche to fill.
liquidambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:07 AM   #5

Without theory there is no science. Proving the theory is the challenge.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
Heron

Linrose I majored in microbiology in college, and I do think what I said is right. I know they are interesting articles that make you stop and think about it, I did not mean to stomp on enthusiasm. But they are trying to grab attention, grand standing is the word that comes to mind, and untrue.

Oh, sigh a big sigh here; the article on parents that suck on their kid's pacifiers have kids with less allergies.

Notice who is advertising at the bottom of the article. It is Pfizer.

Autoimmune diseases and allergies of all kinds have sky rocketed over the past 50 years. As they point to being all toooo clean, we need- more dirt and microbes PLEASE-- drawing attention away from the fact that vaccines causes the side of the immune system that is responsible for allergies to increase.

We now have Dr. Cia who has found the pathway of inflammation in the hypothalamus. This is a real break through.
http://www.einstein.yu.edu/news/rele...-key-to-aging/

Don't let the aging throw you on what the implications are.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
Heron

Here is something that really has been proven to reduce allergies, well asthma:

http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/572891

Quote:
Childhood asthma is reduced by half when the first dose of diphtheria, pertussis, and tetanus (DPT) is delayed by more than 2 months vs given during the recommended period, according to the results of a retrospective longitudinal study reported in the March issue of the Journal of Allergy & Clinical Immunology.

Tags
biodiversityour, home, microbial, signature