Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Biodiversity (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/biodiversity/)
-   -   What's Blooming Now 2013 (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/biodiversity/11479-whats-blooming-now-2013-a.html)

MrILoveTheAnts 04-08-2013 11:28 PM

What's Blooming Now 2013

5 Attachment(s)
Okay, it's about time for someone to start a thread like this up again for the year.

Willow Trees, which were mostly scattered around the neighborhood.

Speedwell, though I'm not sure if the one photoed is native or not. I'm seeing an assortment of large flowering species as well as small ones. They seem to be a common lawn weed here.

Red Maple, I think. Not really sure how the color in the common name to maples works but the flowers are red so I'll go with that.

Spicebush, which I found flowering while out looking for ants in the woods. I'll try and remember where they are and see if they have caterpillars on them later in the year. Maybe I'll go back and mark them branches somehow with paint or something so they stand out after they've flowered.

Hepatica, which I have planted right in my own garden.

linrose 04-09-2013 05:58 AM

Ooooh, thanks for starting this thread MILTA! Spring has been too long in coming and I'm ready to see blooms! I know sassafras is blooming now, as are the elms. Violets just started. I think our spicebush flower buds were zapped but I'll have to go out and check when the sun rises. Love your photos! Hepatica is such a happy harbinger of spring, clean white loveliness.

Helianthus 04-09-2013 10:44 AM

Spring beauty, various violets and golden ragwort are blooming here in VA.

Gloria 04-09-2013 09:49 PM

Great way to see to see what is blooming where.

Rebek56 04-10-2013 06:54 AM

Our serviceberry is about to open. The red maple has been in bloom for a couple of weeks.

kchd 04-10-2013 07:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The red buckeye is in all it's glory around here!

linrose 04-10-2013 08:57 AM

Nice kchd! A great early plant for returning hummingbirds!

linrose 04-13-2013 12:00 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Got a few photos after the rain yesterday.

Uvularia, which is such an intriguing looking plant to me. Sassafras is blooming. Golden ragwort which has interesting purple buds before it finally blooms. I forgot I planted it and wondered what that strange purple budded plant was.

Gloria 04-14-2013 01:01 PM

Great information and pictures. Blooms should start soon here. I need to get out with the camera this week and search out a few pictures. Pussy willow is blooming at Lake Katherine not far from here.

linrose 04-14-2013 04:04 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Bluets, redbud, early dogwood blooms, still greenish. Virginia bluebells starting. Spicebush starting. Peach trees. I saw a poor eastern tiger swallowtail trying to nectar on that peach tree in a high wind. It really struggled to get back to those blooms after a gust! By the time I got ready to take a photo it blew away!