Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #51
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Spring is definitely here.

I have celandine (woodland) poppies, which self sow readily, Virginia bluebells, which have spread significantly in two years, and Eastern blue phlox along the walkway up to my porch. They all bloom about the same time and it is a spectacular combination. I think of yellow and blue as the colors of fall flowers, asters and goldenrods, but they are definitely early spring colors as well. Phacelia needs more moisture than I have or I would add it - I agree that a seed mix with all of these would be great.

Atamasco lily, NC Wildflower of the year a couple of years ago
What's Blooming Now 2013-atamasco-lily-blooming-april-21-2013.jpg

Azalea, snowbird (a hybrid, not completely native, but small and very fragrant, fits my space well)
What's Blooming Now 2013-azalea-snowbird-blooming-late-april.jpg

Bleeding hearts, Dicentra exima,
What's Blooming Now 2013-bleeding-heart-dicentra-exima-web.jpg

Blue star, Amsonia taebermontana
What's Blooming Now 2013-bluestar-3-full-blooms-close-up-web.jpg

Painted buckeye, A. sylvatica
What's Blooming Now 2013-buckeye-flowers-.-sylvatica-coker-web.jpg

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #52
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

A few more.

Sweetshrub blooms apparently are much more fragrant when it is warm. Women in the south used to take the blossoms and place them under clothing against their skin as a perfume in the olden days. Mine don't have much scent with or without warming - if you are going to plant one, choose your specimen in the spring while it is in bloom to verify the quality and quantity of scent. The wildtype ones have the red-maroon flowers, though you can by cultivars with white or yellow.
What's Blooming Now 2013-sweet-shrub-bloom-1.jpg

My pitcher plants are blooming.
What's Blooming Now 2013-pitcherplant-flower-red.jpg

Likewise, Little brown jug, Hexastylis arifolia
What's Blooming Now 2013-little-brown-jug-flower-web.jpg

Phlox, sublata
What's Blooming Now 2013-phlox-sublata-stream-mid-april-full-bloom-web.jpg

Jacobs ladder
What's Blooming Now 2013-jacobs-ladder-flowers-full-bloom-april-14-web.jpg

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #53
Fox

beautiful pixs turttle, is that a dragon or dinosaur in your phlox, sublata? It is easy to see why NC voted the Atamasco flower of the year, at one time!

I'm undecided whether my phlox is divariacata or stolonifera, I know this: the deer seem to eat it!

ww
Attached Thumbnails
What's Blooming Now 2013-phlox2.jpg.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-phlox-marked-seed.jpg.jpg  
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #54
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
My pitcher plants are blooming.
Ooooo, turtle!! Your pitcher plants are GORGEOUS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post
I'm undecided whether my phlox is divariacata or stolonifera, I know this: the deer seem to eat it!
Yea, ww, I'm not sure now, either. The leaves from your first photo look different than these last ones.

Here's a phlox from me. The Phlox divaricata around here are almost always blue. But then I stumbled upon this one growing at the edge of a gravel road.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Blooming Now 2013-img_1869-800x598-.jpg  
Old 05-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #55
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Love that mix as well MILTA, I'm trying to create something like that with celandine poppy, woodland phlox, Virginia bluebells, Bowman's root, wild geranium and ferns. They were just planted last year so I'm hoping and waiting.

I'm excited to have common Amsonia here now too turttle. I just planted it this spring. I planted A. hubrichtii last year, it's native just to the west of us (Arkansas) but I saw it in a garden here and it was so amazing in a part shade garden.

The pitcher plant bloom is gorgeous.

I like the Phlox subulata among the rocks. I don't know why it took me so long to utilize this plant, it's a great spring bloomer and I love Phlox anyway. Again it's new to me this year. I kinda went crazy with it in the terraces but what's better than stone and moss phlox?
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #56

Oh, and I know I've already talked about dogwoods, but we're into our third week of bloom here and they are still so beautiful. This one I took looking out my bedroom window. The blooms look soft and fragile after a day and a half of rain. Soon it will rain white with petals.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Blooming Now 2013-dogwood.jpg  
Old 05-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #57

ww - I'm leaning toward Phlox divaricata on your plant ID. P. stolonifera doesn't live west of the Mississippi and especially with the new photos woodland phlox is what I'd wager.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #58
Fox

Nice dogwood blooms Linrose ty for the confirmation on the Phlox. Ty Dapjwy for the first ID post, Phlox divaricata sounds right. Tyty everyone else to helped confirm the ID. Anyway maybe I can get some seed gathered from these for a future 'bulk seed mix' than I want to create for my place. It seems when I yank/dig up some johnson grass, or other invasive plants, it would be good to have some bulk seed to throw in the hole. At least that is 'part of the plan' for now.

ww
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #59
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
Spring is definitely here.
Bleeding hearts, Dicentra exima,
Attachment 36334
Actually that's the nonnative Bleeding Heart, Lamprocapnos spectabilis. I used to think it was native too, but it's not. They are prettier than the natives though and are a more perfect heart shape.
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #60
Official Plant Nerd

Spring arrived for me too and.... I didn't even notice until this morning when I was out walking around. I was working last week and then I was gone for the weekend and didn't get home till after dark last night so lemme tell you.... what a difference a week of nice warm weather makes!!! I spotted my dodecatheon and seriously... every where I look I'm seeing buds swelling and new growth!!! Oh HAPPY DANCE that spring is finally here!!!

Tags
2013, bloom, blooming, blooms, flowers, native plants, natives, photos, plants, spring, spring blooms, spring flowers, spring time, spring wildflowers