Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #31
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post
Podophyllum peltatum blooming about a week ago.
Attachment 36308
Cool angle. It almost looks like a tree from that angle.

Quote:
hey Linrose, nice pixs
Yes, nice...and it gives me something to look forward to...in a couple of weeks.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #32
Fox

pawprint often found in moist shady places

I thought you might like that mayapple bloom, just for you dapjwy!

Yes about that point of view, I think it was the leprechauns that helped me with that particular picture.

Hey dapjwy, have you spotted some mayapple in the woods out your way yet? Yanno they are easy to find colonies before everything else turns green I have spotted over 30 colonies already this year, some even growing beside the state highway.

ww
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #33
Official Plant Nerd

I spotted my marsh marigolds and blue flag iris starting to come up. Ramps are shooting up too.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:01 PM   #34
Heron

Quote:
hey kchd, thanks for adding me to your friends list.
I am curious is there anything special to make the seeds viable for this type plant?

I tried some beautyberry seed overwintered in a pot full of dirt outside, but nothing has come up yet.

ww
Hi there, WW, glad we are friends!

Nope, the R. canescens does not need any stratification. All it needs is moist enough & warm enough soil to get those seeds to germinate. They sure are tiny, though. And you know what that means... tiny seedlings!

Am. beautyberry does not need any pre-treatment either. But I have read that you can expect about 50% germination success. Maybe it just needs a little more time. I've been waiting what seems like forever for my cardinal flower and oakleaf hydrangea to germinate. It finally did last week!

WW, I love your mayapple blooms! And Lin, you continue to make me jealous.. hahaha.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:08 PM   #35
Heron

Another bloom from me: my Am. strawberrybush (a favorite of mine)
Attached Thumbnails
What's Blooming Now 2013-am.strawberrybush.jpg  
Old 04-29-2013, 10:20 PM   #36
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

Here's a few from my trip to the Mt. Cuba Center's 9th Annual Wildflower Celebration.

The first image should really be a seed mix because this was gorgeous.
Virginia Bluebells, Mertensia virginica
Woodland Poppy, Stylophorum diphyllum
Fernleaf Phacelia, Phacelia bipinnatifida

Trillium cernuum

Trillium simile

Swamp Pink, Helonias bullata
Bog Rosemary, Andromeda polifolia

Trillium pusillum
Attached Thumbnails
What's Blooming Now 2013-flowercover5.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-trilliumcernuum.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-trilliumsimilebig.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-swamppinkandrosemary.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-trilliumpusillum2.jpg  

MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:53 AM   #37
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Niiiiice.....rattlesnake fern, rhododendron canescens, and mockernut hickory.
All P.O.M. worthy if you ask me!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #38
Fox

pawprint anxious on the dwarf iris~~no bloom yet LOL

ty havalotta, I like the rattlesnake fern shot also. Oh gosh I just now realized I posted the mayapple pix twice...hahaha oh well. As for the POM, there is some awesome pixs already entered, I might find something later today to enter.

Hey Equilibrium if ya get a snapshot of those marigolds & iris, I would be interested to see.

Hey kchd, that strawberrybush I heard right here at WG that makes a favorite food for the deer, W2Go! This pix is for you hahaa What's Blooming Now 2013-paulowinias-flower.jpg

Very nice shots Milta, I can't pick a favorite they are all so interesting.

Tapping my toe, anxious to get another pix of this dwarf iris, hopefully blooming. What's Blooming Now 2013-wild-iris-dwarf.jpg

ww
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #39
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Calycanthus floridus, sweetshrub. I can't say enough good things about this shrub. Mike Dirr said to plant this near an entrance so I did and boy am I glad! The fragrance of the blooms are to die for, strawberry-melon to my nose and strong! It's right to the left of my front door and in front of a window to the family room where I keep the window open on warm spring days. Wow, a breath of heaven and a gracious welcome home!

The shrub has an open airy habit in shade and grows to 9-10 feet tall. The foliage is glossy green and gets a nice yellow-orange in fall. It blooms for a long time, at least 6 weeks! I have the cultivar 'Athens' which has yellow/white blooms but the species has a dark red bloom. Make sure if you purchase one of the species that you buy it in bloom, some don't have that delicious scent and some actually have a fetid odor so buyer beware.

If this shrub is native to your area you really deserve to add this one to your plant list. It's unassuming but charming in so many ways. As you can tell I'm a big fan!
Attached Thumbnails
What's Blooming Now 2013-calycanthus.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-calycanthus-shrub.jpg  
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #40
Heron

Linrose, love your Calycanthus! I got some seeds this winter and winter-sowed them. So far, I have 2 lovely little seedlings.

WW, you are rotten. I almost spewed my scotch all over my computer screen at your photo of the Paulownia. Stomp on that thing, quick! And yes, we call Am. strawberrybush "deer ice-cream" around here.

Here's another bloom from me, A. triphyllum. Quickly becoming another favorite!
Attached Thumbnails
What's Blooming Now 2013-jackinthepulpit.jpg  

Tags
2013, bloom, blooming, blooms, flowers, native plants, natives, photos, plants, spring, spring blooms, spring flowers, spring time, spring wildflowers