Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 01:39 AM   #241
Fox

pawprint Here are a few big ones that need ID

Pix 13,14,16 all the same plant the thing is 7' tall and is growing in a sunny spot in the woods. I have seen the leaves in shadier places in the woods and it doesn't grow nearly as tall, nor does it bloom in the shade. Errrrr~ummm I guess it blooms, those buds, I have yet too see one that opened. (maybe it is a night time bloomer) hahaha

Do not become distracted by the slippery elm playing with the grapevine hola hoop in the background of pix 016!

Pix 011 & 012 What's Blooming Now 2013-midaugust2013-011.jpgare also a very What's Blooming Now 2013-midaugust2013-012.jpgtall plant 6' in the same sunny location, but this one has these big yellow flowers, and neat looking leaves.

ww
Attached Thumbnails
What's Blooming Now 2013-midaugust2013-013.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-midaugust2013-014.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-midaugust2013-016.jpg  
Old 08-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #242
WG Fundraising Coordinator

WW - you have some plants that are unfamiliar to me. The white flowered plant looks to be some type of Eupatorium that bloom now. Try Yellow Leafcup for the first two above, Smallanthus uvedalius. It's also known as Bear's Foot because of the large lobed leaves.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #243

Eupatoriums are blooming now and the Ironweed has started.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Blooming Now 2013-eupatorium-coelestinium.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-eupatorium-rugosum.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-vernonia-altissima.jpg  
Old 08-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #244

WW - your blue flowered plant could be Campanula americana, Tall Bellflower.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #245
Fox

pawprint Don't worry I'm logging these names in my journal

Hi Linrose, your such a life saver! tytyty for the accurate suggested ID's I think your right on the mark with the Campanula americana, (tall bellflower), mine are not really that tall, maybe 3' tall, but I'm now very confident in the ID you suggested.

Also the Smallanthus uvedalius, (Yellow Leafcup/ Bear's Foot) is a happy & accurate ID surprise for me.

As for the white flowered, possibility -Eupatorium- I'm going to try researching that one further, as my lower leaves I shown in pix 14 are much different than what I am finding on the internet. I will post, if I ever figure it out. One thing for sure about these white flowers is that the butterflies love it, I counted about 5 dancing around the flowers.

I think I should use my wife's camera today, and perhaps I can get some better pictures, especially of that unnamed white flowered plant. I also noted that the stem/leaves hold that white milky sap, so I'm thinking it is some kind of 'wild lettuce'.

Sigh~~~I'm not having much ID luck using the names Eupatorium, or Latuca

ww
Attached Thumbnails
What's Blooming Now 2013-august212013-010.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-august212013-011.jpg  

Last edited by wildwatcher; 08-22-2013 at 07:47 AM. Reason: add some pixs & paragraphs
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #246

We've had a hot dry stretch of weather, temps in the 90s. The gardens are looking a bit worse for wear but there are a few bloomers.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Blooming Now 2013-purple-coneflower.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-new-england-aster.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-salvia-azurea.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-eggerts-sunflower.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-aromatic-aster2.jpg  

Old 08-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #247

And of course the ever present, ever spreading, brown-eyed susans.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Blooming Now 2013-brown-eyed-susans.jpg  
Old 08-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #248
Alternate POM Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
We've had a hot dry stretch of weather, temps in the 90s. The gardens are looking a bit worse for wear but there are a few bloomers.
I've never seen blue salvia....beautiful. I love the blue aster too.
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #249

From this morning in the field. I'm hoping the thistle is Cirsium discolor, our native Field Thistle.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Blooming Now 2013-goldenrod-heath-aster.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-purpletop.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-ticktrefoil.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-swallowtail-thistle.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-thoroughwort.jpg  

Old 09-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #250
Alternate POM Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
From this morning in the field. I'm hoping the thistle is Cirsium discolor, our native Field Thistle.
Thanks linrose, I always enjoy your photos.
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, bloom, blooming, blooms, flowers, native plants, natives, photos, plants, spring, spring blooms, spring flowers, spring time, spring wildflowers