Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 07:11 AM   #221
Offical Silphium Abuser

Something on ratibida
Close-up with antennae
physostegia and panicum
abused silphium in its second year (big bluestem in background)
Attached Thumbnails
What's Blooming Now 2013-img_3302.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-img_3300.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-img_3301.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-img_3305.jpg  

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:32 AM   #222
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
The good news is that most folks won't remove trees so it's nice your dad's black gum trees are still there dap. At least when we move we start again and try to be good land stewards to a new place.
True. Another good reason to plant native trees...they will likely be there for a long, long time.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:37 AM   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellenwright View Post
That's a great way to look at it linrose. Although my townhouse habitat was destroyed I now have a 4.5 acre habitat. That's a big positive!
That is a big positive. Sad that the townhouse habitat was destroyed, but now you are providing things on a much bigger scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellenwright View Post
It would be nice if we could sell our wildlife places to only those who would preserve it.
I've often thought the very same thing.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 07-31-2013, 10:44 AM   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
When we moved from Vermont to Indiana we had over 100 potted plants in the moving van. We've not done that since...
Jeff could tell stories about the potted plants crammed in the remaining space of more than one U-Haul truck from at least three moves...luckily, I didn't have to dig them up as I had a container garden at each of the places we rented before buying our home(stead).

If he ever finds time to sign on again, he might just tell a story or two.

What I do remember, is down-sizing what I had and planting them in various friends' yards.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:46 AM   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
...abused silphium in its second year (big bluestem in background)
You've got me thinking that my Silphium will be just fine where I've put it...and I might just add a big bluestem or two with it.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:06 PM   #226
Offical Silphium Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
You've got me thinking that my Silphium will be just fine where I've put it...and I might just add a big bluestem or two with it.
My original silphium is planted with switchgrass, which I think actually looks better. I like the feathery grass plumes with those bold yellow flowers.

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:58 PM   #227
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Why everyone should plant silphiums, joe-pye and anise hyssop...

My yard has had an irruption of Eastern Tiger Swallowtails this year, probably four to five times as many as previous years. I don't know if any of you have noticed this. I don't know if it is that my flowers have really grown in or with the amount of rain we have had the trees are happier and their caterpillars are doing better. In any case, it is kind of magical to watch them going crazy over my plants.

My clethra is blooming here, too, for about a week now.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Blooming Now 2013-ets-joe-pye-many-best-web.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-ets-hyssop-2-web.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-ets-x3-silphim.jpg  

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:04 PM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
My original silphium is planted with switchgrass, which I think actually looks better. I like the feathery grass plumes with those bold yellow flowers.
I'll consider that as well...maybe both grasses if I have the room.

My concern is that I don't really want the taller grasses in the main meadow...they are fine along the edge, but I doubt they will stay put.

I plan to have a lot of little bluestem and other grasses, sedges, and rushes that are on the shorter side, but I haven't thought it all through yet.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:03 PM   #229
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
Why everyone should plant silphiums, joe-pye and anise hyssop...

My yard has had an irruption of Eastern Tiger Swallowtails this year, probably four to five times as many as previous years. I don't know if any of you have noticed this. I don't know if it is that my flowers have really grown in or with the amount of rain we have had the trees are happier and their caterpillars are doing better. In any case, it is kind of magical to watch them going crazy over my plants.

My clethra is blooming here, too, for about a week now.
Wow, that's a lot of tiger swallowtails! I can see where that would be a magical kind of experience.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:53 AM   #230
Rock Star

I've been noticing more tiger swallowtails this year also, not only in the garden but at random places driving around.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, bloom, blooming, blooms, flowers, native plants, natives, photos, plants, spring, spring blooms, spring flowers, spring time, spring wildflowers