Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #211
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I have to add orange coneflower and switchgrass, plus my 'Black Beauty' lilies that attract so many butterflies and hummingbirds.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Blooming Now 2013-orange-coneflower.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-lilies.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-panicum-virgatum.jpg  
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:09 PM   #212
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Joe-Pye-Weed is just starting.
Strange, mine just started this week too. I'd have thought you were farther ahead of us than that.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #213

Quote:
Summersweet really has a strong scent, like lilac only sweeter and stronger. When I walk out on the deck in the morning it hits me in the nostrils right away. The butterflies and bumblebees are all over it...
I bought two Clethra about a month ago...they were not in bloom at the time, but now have buds. Today, when I went to check on them, I noticed the buds look pink. I was expecting white--I thought I bought the straight species. Oh well, time will tell.

Anyway, I'm now looking forward to the scent as well as the butterflies and bumblebees...and hummingbirds (at least I'm expecting the hummers to love it). Thanks for the nice description. You make me want to plant one near our deck now.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 07-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #214
Alternate POM Judge

Quote:
I have to add orange coneflower and switchgrass, plus my 'Black Beauty' lilies that attract so many butterflies and hummingbirds.
Beautiful photos. I am heartbroken. A friend sold her house and has lots of those beautiful lilies. Since the house is sold she is not supposed to change anything. The new owners have shown no interest in her beautiful gardens and will probably replace her beautiful plants with turf. I could not talk her into giving me any plants. I hope she changes her mind. After I sold my last place I dug up as much as I could. The new owner replaced my wildlife gardens with turf.

Last edited by EllenW; 07-29-2013 at 09:06 PM. Reason: dont want first quote
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #215
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellenwright View Post
Beautiful photos. I am heartbroken. A friend sold her house and has lots of those beautiful lilies. Since the house is sold she is not supposed to change anything. The new owners have shown no interest in her beautiful gardens and will probably replace her beautiful plants with turf. I could not talk her into giving me any plants. I hope she changes her mind. After I sold my last place I dug up as much as I could. The new owner replaced my wildlife gardens with turf.
Ow. That hurts. I know that feeling. When the new owners took possession of my Aunt's house (where I had lived for a time and spent many days working on and landscaping), I told them that their new yard had an incredible amount of four-leafed clover on it. The woman looked at me as if to say, "Why would you tell me such a useless thing?"

Some people have no poetry in their souls. I try not to hold it against them, but it's difficult sometimes.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:02 PM   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellenwright View Post
Ask her to give you divisions of things...that way she an leave what is there but also share it.

My mother downsized to a smaller house after my father passed and all of the kids moved out. I added dogwood, serviceberry, and a rock garden (in memory of my father and with many plants from his rock garden). Later my mother sold it and the new owners took out basically everything.

On a brighter note, from what I can see of the yard in the house where I grew up, everything my father put in is still there...including the three black gum trees in the front yard.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:03 PM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulucanagria View Post
Some people have no poetry in their souls. I try not to hold it against them, but it's difficult sometimes.
That is sad...but true.

You are a good man, Bulu.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:12 AM   #218

The good news is that most folks won't remove trees so it's nice your dad's black gum trees are still there dap. At least when we move we start again and try to be good land stewards to a new place.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #219
Alternate POM Judge

My next door neighbor here said they have to get rid of the clover in their yard so their kids don't step on a bee in their bare feet. Oh dear! That is one goal I have now that I have more time after retiring is to help others appreciate the beauty of nature.

That's a great way to look at it linrose. Although my townhouse habitat was destroyed I now have a 4.5 acre habitat. That's a big positive!

The daughter of my friend who sold her house said she would talk with her mother and try to talk her into digging up some plants. It would be different if the new owners were wildlife gardeners but they are not. Peggy had to move because she is in her 80s and can no longer take care of her gardens. It would be nice if we could sell our wildlife places to only those who would preserve it.

There are thousands of acres in my area whose owners have put their land in conservation preserve. It can never be developed. Yeah!

Last edited by EllenW; 07-30-2013 at 11:48 AM. Reason: need to fix
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #220

I know most of us have moved and left some special gardens behind that we nurtured. We've moved so many times I've lost count. Moving time is stressful and we're usually pressured to go as soon as possible and with the market the way it is it's hard to stipulate what stays and what goes with the sale. Most people will say we're taking say the light fixture in the dining room or the butcher block table in the kitchen. However not many say, I'm taking the cinnamon ferns in the woodland garden or the purple milkweed in the prairie garden.

When we moved from Vermont to Indiana we had over 100 potted plants in the moving van. We've not done that since but sometimes a few cherished or hard to find plants are worth taking with you. Sometimes you have to realize that you've improved your former property in many ways that can't be quantified. The sugar maple we planted when my first daughter was born is still there at our first house. It's now 30 years old.

It's all a continuum and we have to celebrate our gains while we mourn our losses and move on.

Tags
2013, bloom, blooming, blooms, flowers, native plants, natives, photos, plants, spring, spring blooms, spring flowers, spring time, spring wildflowers