Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 07:53 AM   #11
Official Plant Nerd

I brought in some top soil a few years ago and it had some crocus bulbs in it.... I've got crocus blooming. I keep meaning to waste the crocus but every year I forget where they are and keep meaning to mark the area where they pop up and keep forgetting to do that so I think it's been 5 years running that they've been coming up for me. I should just go out and dig em up but the ground isn't exactly thawed out yet. Not much else blooming yet for me... snow in the forecast for me this week.... again.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:31 AM   #12
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Chinkapin oak catkins.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Blooming Now 2013-chinkapin-oak-flowers.jpg  
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:34 AM   #13

Oh bother equil! I just saw that deja vu all over again winter storm Yogi is coming right on the heels of Walda. Hang in there, spring is coming - soon I hope for you!
Old 04-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #14

MILTA - I've seen those veronicas in my lawn too, I think it's Veronica persica, called Bird's-Eye. It is an escapee from Asia, an annual, but I don't think it's especially invasive.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #15

More from today. Phlox divaricata, Carolina silverbell and fothergilla are new, plus some more close-ups of peach blosssoms (I know, not native, but so pretty!) and redbud.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Blooming Now 2013-phlox-divaricata.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-carolinasilverbell-flowers.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-carolina-silverbell-cl.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-fothergilla.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-fothergilla-cl.jpg  

Old 04-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #16

And more . . .
Attached Thumbnails
What's Blooming Now 2013-peach-blossoms.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-redbud-flowers.jpg  
Old 04-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #17
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Hmmmm Taking breaks and posting every three hours between the landscaping project ha? I love viewing all your spring beauties.

Ours have yet to begin...The snow has finally let up and is beginning to melt. We've finally a heat wave....A big whopping 40 some degrees!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #18

Woohoo 40 degrees! Now don't get to crazy and start planting in the snow!

Yup, I need mental and physical breaks every so often. Today is mostly puttering with containers, painting some old ones and transplanting pot bound plants. I actually had a big pot of columbine that had been sitting in the driveway for three years in the shade, unloved and unwatered and they just won't die so I dug them out and will transplant them to the garden. Now watch and they'll up and croak on me!

I'm trying to get rid of the pot ghetto to make room for people (what??? such a crazy notion) so I'm planting whatever seems right to and ditching the rest. I still have a lot of containers to make up, I went and bought a crap load more plants, more than the first go round. Hopefully they won't bloom out before the middle of May. I got more creeping phlox than anyone should ever have (pretty colors!) so some will go in pots, some in the terraces.

OK, I'm going back to it now before the thunderstorm comes - calling me out on the breaks hey hava???
Old 04-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #19
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Yup, I caught what you were up to. I do the same, only not quite yet.
I must remember to break myself in a bit easier this year. No jumping into the fire or there's going to be a fire burning in the muscles.
I put in a whole hour...Just snipping off the dead tops and raking leaves out of my two most visible beds. The pond and the asters we've been discussing. I noticed the tulips stretching their way through the leaves in a few other areas so I really must start the Spring clean up before they set buds which snap off all too easily.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #20

Carolina jessamine in its first year to bloom. I planted it last year. I can tell this vine is going to take over soon.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Blooming Now 2013-carolina-jessamine.jpg  

Tags
2013, bloom, blooming, blooms, flowers, native plants, natives, photos, plants, spring, spring blooms, spring flowers, spring time, spring wildflowers