Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #181
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

It is nice to see bugs on your blooms. (Isn't there a thread with that name?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Nothing much else going on there except the Queen Anne's Lace...
I'm finally getting a handle on the Queen Anne's lace. The past few years, I've let it bloom, and then pulled it out before it could go to seed. I have a few coming up now, and with all of the rain, I've been able to pull them out by the roots (oops, before I let them bloom). There are still some I missed, but once, they bloom, I'm assuming they'll stick out like a sore thumb, so I can pull them up then.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #182
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Hope you don't have much of it, it would take me from now to forever to pull up all we have in the field. I don't mind it much though, it could be worse.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #183

That's a great shot of the swamp milkweed. My lone plant is blooming. I think I planted more seedlings last fall, but if they survived I've not noticed them.

My Monarda didyma is blooming (and spreading) as well as my Monarda fistulosa (although it is not spreading as much).
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 07-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Hope you don't have much of it, it would take me from now to forever to pull up all we have in the field. I don't mind it much though, it could be worse.
Thankfully, I don't...I agree that it is attractive, but I'd rather it not take over, so I'm planning on removing it while I still can!
Old 07-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #185

I was just out playing with my new close-up lens. I really need to read the instructions as I have no idea what I'm doing. Anyway, here are Liatris spicata and Salvia azurea.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Blooming Now 2013-bee-liatris.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-blue-sage.jpg  
Old 07-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #186
Fox

pawprint nice pixs

Looks pretty darn CLOSE-UP way2go Linrose, I think you have already offered some outstanding photos, and now your upgrade in equipment will really shine!

ww
Old 07-13-2013, 06:51 AM   #187

Thanks ww! I didn't actually see all those individual florets in the liatris until I looked at that photo! I think I'll be seeing a lot more detail in everything with that lens.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #188

More fun with the close up lens. It's not so great for fast moving things like butterflies but I managed to get some that were more interested in nectaring than me with a camera up in their face.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Blooming Now 2013-beautyberry-flowers.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-green-headed-coneflower.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-bumble-coneflower.jpg  
Old 07-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #189
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I really miss the close up capability of my old camera.
Photos of insects so close you could see their eye segments, the hair upon their bodies... With it, I could take shots super dooper close as in like 4-6 inches away from an insect as well taking a distant shot without adding or taking off a lens. I've yet to figure out how to do that with this new camera. When I move in.......It won't focus unless I back way up! The only way I can get a close up shot now, is to crop.

I had purchased the three close up lens for that very camera identical to yours but have yet to play around with them much beyond the first trial.
Must you take off the lens when you want to move from the close ups into taking a distant photo or do you need to unscrew them to do so?

I "think" all three lens can all be used at the same time to give you an even MORE close up of a shot but I was afraid the order in which you screwed them all together might matter. If it's not correct, I was worried they might rub upon one another and scratch them. Have you tried all three at the same time yet to see what you get?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #190

I'm not sure what three lenses you are talking about, you need the lens adapter DMW-LA5 which is a short tube that screws on the regular lens to attach the close up and telephoto lenses. The close-up lens DMW-LC55 screws onto that. With the close up lens I can take photos from .6 feet to 1.6 feet away from the subject. To take a distant shot I just unscrew the lens adapter with the close up lens still attached to it. I didn't get the telephoto lens because it's pricey but if you are a birder it's probably worth it.

Now that I have a few lenses and filters I need some way of carrying them, right now I'm just playing around in the backyard with it so I don't need a bag or carrying case. I did get a polarizing filter, a light reduction filter and a UV filter also. I use the UV filter as a lens protector and keep it on the camera. I bought an inexpensive set of three filters just for the UV filter. They came in a handy case.

Panasonic DMW-LA5 - Lens Adapter - Overview
Panasonic DMW-LC55 - Close-up Lens - Overview
Panasonic DMW-LT55 - Telephoto Lens - Overview

Tags
2013, bloom, blooming, blooms, flowers, native plants, natives, photos, plants, spring, spring blooms, spring flowers, spring time, spring wildflowers