Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 05:41 AM   #151
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Viceroy - I can't say if they are a great butterfly plant or not, they're located where I don't see them every day so I don't really notice. They are blooming now with other butterfly favorites like bee balm and purple coneflower so they have many choices. I'll have to be more observant while they are blooming and see how popular they are.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #152
Fox

It feels odd to say that these are 'blooming' as Indian Pipes feel more mycological than floral, but flowers they are and these are definitely in bloom. To me, the first Indian Pipes are a welcome sight as they are one of my favorite plants and because they herald the start of true summer, meaning we're that much closer to fall!

What's Blooming Now 2013-pipe-009a.jpg
Old 07-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #153
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulucanagria View Post
To me, the first Indian Pipes are a welcome sight as they are one of my favorite plants and because they herald the start of true summer, meaning we're that much closer to fall!
Nice find, Bulu. I stumbled upon some while walking a trail with friends. My one friend had a camera, and she got a good photo of them.

...But, I've gotta say I'm not ready for fall yet! The summer is going too fast...we are doing too much running around and almost nothing getting done for the house and yard. I just don't want it to pass me by without accomplishing some things...and I'm not ready for WINTER again any time soon!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post

...But, I've gotta say I'm not ready for fall yet!
You can say that again!!! Summer's just begun!!! We haven't even gotten to Independence Day yet. Let's hold our horses there people (bulu )!!!

That said Indian pipe is a cool plant, I was always glad to see it up in New England, I have yet to come across it down this way.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #155
Fox

Sorry, folks. Overbearing humidity has taken some of the shine off of the summer for me. I'm a big fellow and humidity is not my friend. It's what drove me out of Cincinnati! That being said, I'll still manage to enjoy myself for the next few months. Somehow I'll muddle through.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #156
1st Place Winner DIY Catchall Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Viceroy - I can't say if they are a great butterfly plant or not, they're located where I don't see them every day so I don't really notice. They are blooming now with other butterfly favorites like bee balm and purple coneflower so they have many choices. I'll have to be more observant while they are blooming and see how popular they are.
Thanks linrose, might have to give it a try anyway.
Viceroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulucanagria View Post
Sorry, folks. Overbearing humidity has taken some of the shine off of the summer for me. I'm a big fellow and humidity is not my friend. It's what drove me out of Cincinnati! That being said, I'll still manage to enjoy myself for the next few months. Somehow I'll muddle through.
It has been more humid here than seems normal...and I'm not getting much done outside (or in! ), but I'm *still* not ready to trade it in for winter.

Here's hoping it cools down for both of us, so we can have a more comfortable summer.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 07-03-2013, 06:25 AM   #158
1st Place Winner DIY Catchall Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
It has been more humid here than seems normal...and I'm not getting much done outside (or in! ), but I'm *still* not ready to trade it in for winter.

Here's hoping it cools down for both of us, so we can have a more comfortable summer.
Please let me tell you about humidity, it is so thick here I could probably pack and ship you some
Viceroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #159

True that Viceroy!

Gettin' a little taste of typical southern summer weather up north I hear. Misery loves company so go on ahead and vent, then put your feet up, cool yourself with a big 'ol fan, sittin' in your rocking chair out in the shade of the veranda and sip on some lemonade or sweet tea. That's why our weeds wait until late fall to get cleared out (and pretty much all other gardening chores.)
Old 07-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viceroy View Post
Please let me tell you about humidity, it is so thick here I could probably pack and ship you some
I'm sure if you shipped me some, it would just make what we have that much thicker. So, our cooler weather (and even winter) might just not be so bad after all, eh?

Tags
2013, bloom, blooming, blooms, flowers, native plants, natives, photos, plants, spring, spring blooms, spring flowers, spring time, spring wildflowers