Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #101
Fox

Puccoons (Lithospermum spp):

What's Blooming Now 2013-puccoon.jpg

Clematis fremontii:

What's Blooming Now 2013-clematis.jpg

Cream wild baptisia:

What's Blooming Now 2013-baptisia_bracteata.jpg
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #102
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Lovely! I have curlyheads, too!

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #103
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Nice NEWisc! I love them all. That clematis is awesome. Where did you find them, in the wild or are you growing them? turttle, what's a curlyhead???

As of today we have Delphinium exaltatum blooming, it's rather unassuming compared to the garden variety Delphiniums but still lovely. It's blooming earlier and paler than it's supposed to, maybe it's just because it was planting this spring.

One lone Mondarda didyma bloom this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Blooming Now 2013-delphinium-exaltatum.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-monarda-didyma.jpg  
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #104
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Venus' looking glass.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Blooming Now 2013-venus-looking-glass.jpg  
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #105
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchd View Post
I discovered 2 (!) volunteer redring milkweeds (A. variegata) blooming in the fallow pasture last week. Super excited about that. How's *that* for provenance of a species I've been looking to plant on our land?!
Attachment 36957
I am so happy for you! I'd love to have the local ecotype of more and more natives just show up on our property. We've had a few, but too few and far between.

I have always wanted to grow A. variegate since I saw a painting of it (I don't think they had photos) in a two volume wildflower reference book at a local library when I was in my late teens or early twenties.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
Puccoons (Lithospermum spp):

Clematis fremontii:

Cream wild baptisia:
Now those look like rather rare wildflowers--at least they are not common around my neck of the woods.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 06-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
As of today we have Delphinium exaltatum blooming, it's rather unassuming compared to the garden variety Delphiniums but still lovely. It's blooming earlier and paler than it's supposed to, maybe it's just because it was planting this spring.
I love the woodland delphinium...I used to see it at one park out in Western PA. I'd love to grow it here some day.

Quote:
One lone Mondarda didyma bloom this morning.
Beautiful photo, linrose.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #108

Quote:
Venus' looking glass.
I remember seeing this for the first time as a photo in one of my field guides. I've always liked it and wanted it.

Many years later--just last year, I spotted one or two on the side of a road out this way. It is so much smaller than it appears in photos, but still lovely and one I want. I planned to go back to collect seeds, but never got around to it.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:28 AM   #109
Fox

Quote:
Nice NEWisc! I love them all. That clematis is awesome. Where did you find them, in the wild or are you growing them?
They are all in our yard. I grew them from seed several years ago. The only one that is locally native is the puccoon.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #110
Fox

pawprint Just another unidentified wildflower...or two

I don't know the name, but it just started blooming, and I only have a few samples in my yard to photograph. But I'll be marking this one for the seed later this year, because it is only 2' tall and I think beautiful. I includes 3 pixs so perhaps some ID help could be made. This pix is a funny photoshop so I could get close, and show the 'whole plant'. What's Blooming Now 2013-early-june2013-016.jpg

Another view of the same plantWhat's Blooming Now 2013-early-june2013-018.jpg

Here is another one, I called 'brown eyed susan', What's Blooming Now 2013-early-june2013-002.jpganyone have a better ID name for it?What's Blooming Now 2013-early-june2013-003.jpg

ww
Attached Thumbnails
What's Blooming Now 2013-early-june2013-017.jpg  

Tags
2013, bloom, blooming, blooms, flowers, native plants, natives, photos, plants, spring, spring blooms, spring flowers, spring time, spring wildflowers