Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #91
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
My butterfly has yet to break ground!
Just last week, I was walking along my path and was surprised to see that my butterfly weed had not only broken ground but was already almost 10 inches high or so! I remember last year watching and waiting...then waiting and watching for a good bit more. I'm glad to see it is up and now making flower buds.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
Ruellia is attempting to take over the front planting beds--not that I particularly object.
I can see why, Rebek. I wouldn't object either!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 06-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #93
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I like Ruellia too, we have some in the field growing with the butterflyweed and I planted some in the terraces last year. It looks a bit different than yours though and it's not blooming yet. Mine is Ruellia humilis.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:52 AM   #94
Fox

pawprint Hey dapjwy!! sending big smilllllllllleeeees

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Yours looks so much more delicate and attractive than the ones I see for sale.
Well of course I have the delicate spiderwort, because it is protected by that stone wall. And of course I try not to step on it, so that keeps it looking nice. I have not moved the plant in several years so that probably helps. Thank you for the compliment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAPJWY
I think they look like Two-Flowered Cynthia (Krigia biflora) or another Krigia spp.
Yipppppppppie, I'm really overjoyed now that you helped with the perfect ID of that one! tytyty! I have been collecting those 'dandelion like seed' of late, and I found some more of it on the other side of my place last week. Hey dapjwy, as you know...pay close attention to the seed head while it is in it's 'bullet form' because once they get to the fluffy dandelion state...poof they are gone with the wind! Mine are growing in some very rough, nearly pure clay/gravel with just a little leaf litter in both places.

Just curious, but those seed collected of the Krigia biflora, do you store your seed and then sow next year? I don't remember seeing this plant flowering later in the summer, mainly spring time.

ww
Old 06-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #95

Purple milkweed is blooming for the first time. I thought it had perished. I'm sure glad it didn't because it is beautiful. Pale purple coneflower is just starting too.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Blooming Now 2013-purple-milkweed.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-pale-purple-coneflower-bumble.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-pale-purple-coneflower.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-pp-coneflower.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-penstemon-field.jpg  

Old 06-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #96
Offical Silphium Abuser

I'm not sure what my ruellia is; it was a passalong from a friend.

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
I like Ruellia too, we have some in the field growing with the butterflyweed and I planted some in the terraces last year. It looks a bit different than yours though and it's not blooming yet. Mine is Ruellia humilis.
The first time I saw it (other than in pictures) was at Bernheim.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Purple milkweed is blooming for the first time. I thought it had perished. I'm sure glad it didn't because it is beautiful.
Congratulations. I'm glad you didn't lose it. It is beautiful. I'll have to look for some to add here.

Earlier this spring, I bought a poke milkweed at a native plant sale. I don't think it is as beautiful, but hey, it is another milkweed--and another host plant for the monarchs.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #99
Heron

I discovered 2 (!) volunteer redring milkweeds (A. variegata) blooming in the fallow pasture last week. Super excited about that. How's *that* for provenance of a species I've been looking to plant on our land?!
What's Blooming Now 2013-img_2009-800x598-.jpg

The silver-spotted skippers have found my Monarda citriodora, and are all over it.
What's Blooming Now 2013-img_2033-800x666-.jpg
Old 06-07-2013, 05:53 AM   #100

Awesome kchd! I'm always glad to find native forbs springing up in our old field. Yesterday I saw the penstemon. Monarda citriodora is a very cool looking plant, very Seussian.

Tags
2013, bloom, blooming, blooms, flowers, native plants, natives, photos, plants, spring, spring blooms, spring flowers, spring time, spring wildflowers