Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

Default Doug Tallamy at Mt. Cuba Center in DE, January 16 2013

Treasures Among Our Natives
3120 Barley Mill Road
Hockessin, DE 19707
(302) 239-4244

Date: Wednesday, January 16
Time: 7:00 pm 9:00 pm (dessert reception)
Cost: $20
Instructor: Dr. Douglas Tallamy, University of Delaware

Quote:
Although a growing number of homeowners are helping conserve local biodiversity by landscaping with native plants, few know much about the animals they are aiding. Dr. Tallamy will describe some of the fascinating ways animals interact with the native plants they depend on. He will share how anticipating, observing, and understanding these relationships enriches our lives and further justifies the use of natives in our yards.

Doug Tallamy is Professor and Chair of the Department of Entomology and Wildlife
Ecology and director of the Center for Managed Ecosystems at the University of Delaware in Newark, Delaware. He has authored 73 research articles and taught Insect Taxonomy, Behavioral Ecology, and other courses for 30 years. Chief among his research goals is to better understand the many ways insects interact with plants and how such interactions determine the diversity of animal communities. His book, Bringing Nature Home; How Native Plants Sustain Wildlife in Our Gardens, was published by Timber Press in 2007 and received the 2008 Silver Medal by the Garden Writers Association.

Reserve your place early if you're going. I don't think their main auditorium seats more than 100 people. (Though they might have him projected in some of their other rooms)

I'm also going to their class on Asteraceae plants on September 15.
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
Co-Administrator

Looks like two great programs. These are the kinds of presentations that I try to attend at every opportunity. They are interesting and meaningful topics, the speakers are top notch and the cost is very reasonable.

Douglas Tallamy used to keep a schedule of upcoming presentations on his Bringing Nature Home website, but it hasn't been updated in some time. It would be nice if we could keep everyone abreast of his scheduled presentations so that no one would miss an opportunity to see him in their area. I see that hee has expanded his list of standardized talks since I last visited his website:
Talk Descriptions — Bringing Nature Home

Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

Does anyone expect to attend the class on Asteraceae this up coming 15th?
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, center, cuba, doug, january, tallamy