Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #11
A Bee's Best Friend

I find it amazing how shifts in topography, rainfall (even moisture retention or evaporation through temperture changes and ground cover) and especially light, can influence the plants growing in a particular community.
When fire and/or grazing or even storms like the tornadoes that wreck such havoc in the midwest keep the tree canopy thinned out some trees will adapt to the disturbance and grow.Then a whole configuration adaptation occurs within the plant and animal communities. Forest succession eternally thwarted.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
Heron

I am amazed by the plants that thrive in my prairie ecosystem. The winters are so brutal and cold, and the summers can be extremely hot and dry. I have family in Michigan, and even though our distance isn't that great, it is amazing to me the difference in temperatures between our locations. Our winters are much colder than theirs, and our summers are hotter. While they will be at 5 degrees in January, we will be -20. And in July when they are 75-80, we will often be 90 and 95. Native plants and ecosystems deserve our respect!
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clearing, community, forest, midwest, midwestern, native plants, native trees, oak, oak savanna, oak trees, plant, prairie, restoration, restore, savanna, tallgrass, woodland edgle