Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Aquatic Animals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #21
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgerowe View Post
I think that you are right on this as well, dap.

I like you, Hedgerowe... Did I ever mention that I like to be told I'm right. (I think most people do.)

...Now jack could learn a thing or two from you.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #22
Pope

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I like you, Hedgerowe... Did I ever mention that I like to be told I'm right. (I think most people do.)

...Now jack could learn a thing or two from you.
Hmmm...right, as usual, dap. Maybe third time's the charm?
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:26 PM   #23
Salamander

Not that I am implying that animals are not curious or intelligent, for sure.
Just that they exist in a very different reality than we do.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip View Post
Not that I am implying that animals are not curious or intelligent, for sure.
Just that they exist in a very different reality than we do.
Right. I don't think you and I are too far apart on this.

I am wary to allow anthropomorphism to unduly influence my perception of animal behaviors, but I also don't want to dismiss things too much--like I said I think there is a spectrum.

As a kid, I remember loving a little paperback book called "Nine True Dolphin Stories"...I wonder how much that influenced my thinking. How do you explain dolphins aiding a drowning...empathy?

I feel like my mind keeps ping-ponging between various thoughts and beliefs.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 07-22-2011, 04:02 PM   #25
Salamander

Heh.
I was on a sailboat, in charge of it at the time in fact, when dolphin "attacked" it.

I had, and have no idea what was going through it's mind. I initially thought the keel or rudder was running aground. The dolphin was very annoyed (seemingly) about something.

There was another time when a Dolphin shot out of the water more or less beside me when I was kayaking off the west of Ireland. I basically needed a change of underwear. The last thing you expect to see is an animal of that size rocketing out of what you are paddling on.

I learned then that the OH $#%#!!!!!! part of the brain works faster than the part that identifies dolphins.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Heh.
I was on a sailboat, in charge of it at the time in fact, when dolphin "attacked" it.

I had, and have no idea what was going through it's mind. I initially thought the keel or rudder was running aground. The dolphin was very annoyed (seemingly) about something.

There was another time when a Dolphin shot out of the water more or less beside me when I was kayaking off the west of Ireland. I basically needed a change of underwear. The last thing you expect to see is an animal of that size rocketing out of what you are paddling on.

I learned then that the OH $#%#!!!!!! part of the brain works faster than the part that identifies dolphins.
So, it sounds like you are not too fond of dolphins after all of that. Maybe you should write your own true dolphin story.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #27
Salamander

Heh.
Nah. Dolphins are a good laugh. So are porpoises. Great surfers, but when one is landing right beside you they can suddenly seem big.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #28

Quote:
Heh.
Nah. Dolphins are a good laugh. So are porpoises. Great surfers, but when one is landing right beside you they can suddenly seem big.
I'm sure anything large (or even small) surfacing beside you when you are not expecting it (or maybe even if you are) could be rather freaky to say the least.

Tags
deal, great, things